travel with rear doors open?

Bentwood

Occasionally I need to move long lengths of metal or wood, 18 to 20 feet long. I have an "extender" that fits into the trailer hitch, that can be used to support the pieces out to about 16 feet. I am wondering if it is safe to travel with the rear doors open? Also, any good ideas about how to secure the doors in the open position?

chromisdesigns

Occasionally I need to move long lengths of metal or wood, 18 to 20 feet long. I have an "extender" that fits into the trailer hitch, that can be used to support the pieces out to about 16 feet. I am wondering if it is safe to travel with the rear doors open? Also, any good ideas about how to secure the doors in the open position?
That's generally not a good idea with any vehicle, because of the possibility of backdrafting exhaust into the vehicle.

Boater

Good question.
There is a fishmonger round here who delivers on a Friday and drives slowly with his back doors open (can't remember if it's a sprinter or a transit) because he is in and out of the van so much, I'm not sure how he secures the doors because he doesn't usually have them open fully 90 degrees.
The basic checkstrap will hold the doors at 90 degrees open, whether it is strong enough to use on the move or not is another question, 180 degrees is not much use, you van would be twice as wide as normal. 270 degree opening onto the magnets (mine are missing) would hold the doors open for minor increase in width, again not sure of the security on the move.

The final, and perhaps most important consideration though is about your structural rigidity, there is not a lot of transverse structure in any van to stop the walls and roof racking and I have a feeling they are designed such that the closed doors provide the lateral bracing necessary to prevent this mode of collapse. You might be safe enough if you stretch some ratchet or cam straps diagonally across the doorway from bottom one side to top of the other and secure them tightly in an X so each can work as a tension brace (be careful with ratchets not to over tighten and distort the frame, those things can be powerful!).

A friend of mine built a trailer to carry kite buggies using unistrut on an old folding camper (posh trailer tent) chassis. In order to get 4 buggies on he made uprights that could slot together as the layers go up, but of course the buggies themselves prevented fitting any cross bracing. I commented on it but he seemed to think it would be OK - the buggies have 2" tubular rear axles and were secured with jockey wheel clamps so it looked pretty rigid. We followed his son a short way watching the load sway dangerously at corners before flagging him down. Fortunately I had put a bunch of cam straps and ropes in my bag because I wasn't sure how the buggies were supposed to attach to the trailer (they were still finishing building it when we turned up, we had a 9 or 10 hour drive down to south Wales for the euros and were going in convoy, with our buggies on the new trailer). After 10 minutes of weaving diagonal ties this way that we set off again with no sway - we did re-tension some of the ropes when we stopped for a meal but when we arrived at the venue in the early hours of the next day everything was still solid. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how strong the straps would need to be, or how tight to effectively brace the back of your van, I can only anecdotally tell you it can work well.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Also, any good ideas about how to secure the doors in the open position?
Not sure what model Sprinter you have, but on the T1N (02-06) there are arm things that sort of lock the doors in an open position, with the doors straight back. You would have to secure it somehow from flopping closed, but with the arms engaged, it sure won't fly all the way open (out and towards the front).
Shoot, when I originally read the title of your post, I immediately thought about what nice airflow one would get through the Sprinter with a back door open...

John484

'06 140 2500 SHC
What's the record for the longest carpet roll ever hanging out of the back of a clapped out GMC Vandura? With the ubiqitous white trash driver with a cigarette andy capping from his mouth? Can someone google this?
On a serious note, as mentioned, the (closed) doors help give structure to a very flexy area of the sprinter. Not saying I wouldnt do it in a pinch.

icarus

Drivers window open, fresh air fan on full, I would do it for short trips, at slow speeds.

exhaust gas would be my worry.

Icarus

bkhi

Drivers window open, fresh air fan on full, I would do it for short trips, at slow speeds.

exhaust gas would be my worry.

Icarus
I have done it many times, Azek boards are 18' long. Keep 1 door closed, front window open, faster the better. Air move through van nicely without any exhaust inside, traffic would be potential problem. We contractors do it all of the time with vans.

I have done it many times, Azek boards are 18' long. Keep 1 door closed, front window open, faster the better. Air move through van nicely without any exhaust inside, traffic would be potential problem. We contractors do it all of the time with vans.
I do it all the time when I carry my 28' ladder. One door closed and the other pulled shut against what you're carrying with bungees. One on top and one in the middle. I wrap a blanket around the ladder where the door hits it. No exhaust fumes, but I have the partition.

I've run with one or both doors open and long objects hanging out the back. With the front windows open I've not noticed excessive exhaust intrusion based upon my non-calibrated nose. The concern for diesel exhaust is more long term exposure to your lings and possible carcinogens as opposed to the carbon monoxide levels found in spark ignition engine exhaust.

Were I to consider regularly running with the rear doors open I would consider some sort of seal curtain on the opening. Maybe a full canvas with bungees to conform to the overhung load. Viewing windows could be included if deemed necessary. Then again, that might set up for even more backdraft. :idunno:

I agree that the Sprinters are very flexy and are worse with both rear doors open. Most times if you are carrying long loads you will not likely be near full loading though. My concern is more that my random junk near the rear opening will fall out as I bounce down the road.

FWIW. vic

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
My concern is more that my random junk near the rear opening will fall out as I bounce down the road.
I've not experienced that, but certainly can understand the likelihood of it happening. :smirk:

As far as driving with the doors open I've not done it as I haven't had the need. My brother who owns a 2005 T1N 158" frequently hauls 16' timbers with the doors closed by propping lumber on the dash or console.

Last edited:

Top Bottom