Cleaned EGR now van wont start

fcrdiesel

Last week i had the the infamous loss of power on my dodge sprinter 2500(2005) I assumed it was the fuel filter again so changed it but it did not help. I then went to autozone to get the CEL read and it came up with EGR excessive flow detected so with the advise of this forum I cleaned the EGR and started it back up. It didnt seem to help, I then decided to take a look at the air filter(which was extremely dirty) put it back in and then it started up and died shortly after. It now will not start at all, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If there is no dash light on, it may be the hoses are leaking from the turbocharger/intercooler, causing the loss of power, and lack of air from the dirty air filter is causing the no start from excess fuel

fcrdiesel

The check engine light is on, it reads EGR excessive flow. Put in a new air filter still not starting it would start and run fine(just with the CEL and reduced power) until i cleaned the EGR and now it will not start at all turns over and sounds like it is going to start and then die's

riskydnb

maybe an easier question. Will a non working EGR prevent the vehicle from starting?
Ive put known bad EGRs on sprinters just to transport them without power a short distance. Ive never had one not turn over cause of the EGR. As far as the turbo and egr linked it still would start and not turn off unless your whole turbo was bad, the shaft in the center of the turbo is lose or gone completely. Take the hose off the front of turbo and check shaft.

jb21cri

did you use a new metal gasket when you reinstalled the egr?might want to take it off again as easy as it is.you could also pressure test from the air cleaner exit hose with material readily available at your local hardware.just don't exeed 20 psi.this also test the intercooler and related hoses,jb.

fcrdiesel

Problem solved. I figured there must have been a blockage of air flow from the filter from something that was done while initially checking on the filter(maybe some of the filter broke off and got sucked up, etc) took the housing apart and traced it back to a piece of paper towel that was sucked up against the intake of the MAF sensor(must have been pushed in there when i put the original filter back in and it sucked it up) Took it out and it started right up. Also the EGR cleaning seemed to work also as the power has been restored and the CEL went off.:clapping:

fcrdiesel

Well after about a week and about 500 miles of driving the CEL is back on (showing same code< EGR excessive flow) and it is lacking power again. I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it again with no avail. Has anyone else out there had this happen? Is there anything other than the EGR valve itself that will cause it to throw a code for Excessive flow?

fcrdiesel

Any ideas? still struggling with this issue. Just trying to see if the EGR needs to be replaced or if there is some other reason this code could be showing.

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
When you cleaned your EGR did it move freely and spring back? If not, time for an EGR. This just happened to me recently. If the EGR works properly, I would replace the turbo to intercooler hose and the intercooler to intake hose. Especially if you have a lot of mileage since the last replacement of the hoses.

schwarzeradler

I had a similar problem with my van, although I had a different code. My EGR was shot. No amount of cleaning would bring it back to life. I broke down and installed a new EGR (for $500 :frown:, and all was well again.

Matt

greenwhite1

When you cleaned your EGR did it move freely and spring back? If not, time for an EGR. This just happened to me recently. If the EGR works properly, I would replace the turbo to intercooler hose and the intercooler to intake hose. Especially if you have a lot of mileage since the last replacement of the hoses.
Van is 2005 with 200,000 miles. My van will start and run for 2 seconds then die. I have three codes P0101 P0402 P0403 so I took the EGR off and cleaned it but it wasn't bad at all. I noticed if the solenoid and valve are separated the valve snapped back just like it should. If I have the solenoid attached to the valve it will not snap back at all. Is that correct, or do I have a bad solenoid? I have a new air filter installed, also cleaned MAF and checked that the harness is plugged into the MAF and EGR. After cleaning and doing all this the van started and ran for 8 seconds then died. I tried again and it will only run for 2 seconds now. Still the same codes, any ideas?

Top Bottom