Permanent fix for hazed headlights? Paint a clear coat??

mugget

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if there is any way to permanently restore hazed (faded/cloudy looking) headlights?

There is a good thread here about how to fix the actual hazing: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11289&highlight=clear+coat+headlight

But I was Googling around and saw a suggestion on a Subaru forum that you need to clear coat the headlight to stop it from hazing again? Just wondering if anyone has done that? It would make sense if you use a 2k automotive clear coat as that will give UV protection, and provide a physical barrier to the lens. I've got some 2k clear so I could easily do it... might ask the paint shop about it and see what they say...

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Guess the idea is to not let the light fade, However some do:thinking: so try either Turtle headlight restorer, or Invision from Repco...Both have UV protection,any Abs plastic can be restored,just depends on your skill-set ability,and Patience and time..LOL..
tin glass.jpg
Cheers Richard

surlyoldbill

I was recently informed that there is a hard coating on the outside of the plastic lenses, so when you buff them clear you also buff off the hard layer.
There is probably a spray-on replacement available, I haven't looked.

I noticed that after the first time I polished my lenses that they hazed up again within 15k.

pfflyer

I was recently informed that there is a hard coating on the outside of the plastic lenses, so when you buff them clear you also buff off the hard layer.

I noticed that after the first time I polished my lenses that they hazed up again within 15k.
I think 3M makes a product to apply after their lens re-store kit. I was getting fuel last year and was approached by a young lady selling a waterless car wash that she claimed would help with lens hazing and also help keep brake dust off wheels. Naturally I had to try it. Did not use on paint (think waterless cleaners would rub dirt on paint and scratch finish) but used on lens and wheels. Don't know about lens because I sold the van not long after application and could tell little difference in brake dust accumulation. Need to keep away from young ladies selling things.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if there is any way to permanently restore hazed (faded/cloudy looking) headlights?

There is a good thread here about how to fix the actual hazing: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11289&highlight=clear+coat+headlight

But I was Googling around and saw a suggestion on a Subaru forum that you need to clear coat the headlight to stop it from hazing again? Just wondering if anyone has done that? It would make sense if you use a 2k automotive clear coat as that will give UV protection, and provide a physical barrier to the lens. I've got some 2k clear so I could easily do it... might ask the paint shop about it and see what they say...
Yes, after polishing to get the yellow clear, I sprayed clear coat on 1 lens of my Civic and 9 months later the un-painted one is yellow, the painted one is much clearer but not perfect.
How permanent remains to be seen. The Right is painted

Attachments

Last edited:

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Just did test on my Sprinter headlights-wet sanded with 2000 grid sandpaper, then finished with Zymol. Looks much better, happy with it.

surlyoldbill

I think 3M makes a product to apply after their lens re-store kit. I was getting fuel last year and was approached by a young lady selling a waterless car wash that she claimed would help with lens hazing and also help keep brake dust off wheels. Naturally I had to try it. Did not use on paint (think waterless cleaners would rub dirt on paint and scratch finish) but used on lens and wheels. Don't know about lens because I sold the van not long after application and could tell little difference in brake dust accumulation. Need to keep away from young ladies selling things.
Sounds like yet another Roma/Gypsy scam.
Avoid anyone selling goods or services in a parking lot.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Last edited:

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Hmmm, that does look good, my friends have some brand of film on their passat headlights and its a peeling yellow mess.

david_42

There really isn't a permanent fix, just a couple of methods to restore the lens. I've had good luck with Krylon's UV-Resistant Clear Coating product, after buffing the lens. Good for several years, but road grit eventually wears it down enough that you need to do it over. Long-term maintenance.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
nothing is forever so keep it cheap and simple

My son's 2003 Toyota Tundra spent it's life in the elements in Melbourne FL.

2 weeks ago I used 3m strip caulking (gary's clay bar) and some Eagle 1 nanowax for a lubricant. This removed 95% of the hazing and the plastic is clear again.

Been using this combo on my Sprinter for 6.5 years, my paint, glass, lenses all look like new.

mugget

Thanks everyone for the info. :thumbup:

Interesting... that makes the whole theory of 2k clear make more sense. Remove the original hard coating when removing the hazing, add a hard coating back on with 2k clear.

NelsonSprinter - I just wanted to check what kind of prep you did on your headlight before painting the clear. Just a polish to remove the hazing, then painted straight on that? No sandpaper to help adhesion? If you just polished and painted, then it's pretty good that it hasn't lifted or peeled, etc.!

Haha, thanks Altered Sprinter. :tongue:

Top Bottom