how to run AC on recyle full time?

oregonjim

I have an '06 with dash air which works OK but the "recycle" kicks out after 20-30 minutes.
My wife has severe allergies to exhaust fumes so we prefer to just "recycle" the AC.
We can reengage recycle again and again but are looking for a better solution.

Anybody know how to get the recycle to stay on?
I have considered just blocking the outside air opening but don't know what sould happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

oregonjim

bc339

If your recirculation flapper closes when the switch is used, consider your good fortune. The bellcrank between the actuator and the flapper door is a common failure after a few years. The actuator still works, but the flapper door won't close.

The default position is full open - the actuator has a spring to extend the arm, keeping the flapper door open. When you press the button, it sends voltage to the actuator, opening a valve to a vacuum line to retract the arm, closing the flapper door. When the timer shuts off, voltage is removed, valve closes, the arm extends, opening the flapper. Look up recirculation actuator for more information.

You could defeat the timer a few different ways. The most difficult would be to take apart the ATC (automatic climate control) panel, find the timer circuit, and modify it with a longer timer.

Or, unplug the connector at the actuator and rewire a separate line with a switch to control the recirculation door at you need.

You could simply manually close the door at the linkage and zip tie it closed. There are risks with this method - think liability - your goal is to keep bad fumes out, but this has the potential of keeping bad fumes in, too. That's why they put a timer on the recirc function. Disclaimer - do this at your own risk.

Hope this is of some help.

Bruce

Top Bottom