Ignition switch/cylinder

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Today I parked my Sprinter, went to turn the truck off, and the cylinder was difficult to turn. after a little wiggling it finally turned to the off position. Then the key was difficult to remove. Now the cylinder will turn with any type of key, and when turned with the sprinter key to the start position the starter will not engage. If you use a non-sprinter key the display will say start error, but with the sprinter key I do not get the start error. All the dash lights lit up properly. I got a feeling something in the cylinder broke.

So here is the million dollar question, is it hard to change out the ignition switch? Anyone have a part number? I did a forum search and seen many posts suggesting that the problem maybe a ignition switch, but no posts addressing the issue.

2004 2500 Dodge Sprinter

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Well, this is a huge case of OHS (Operators Head Space) As I was cleaning out the cab (putting tools away from my trade), I noticed when I shut the Sprinter off, I left it in Drive. Apparently when you leave the Sprinter in Drive and are able to get the key out, all the tumblers for the lock do not drop back in place allowing the cylinder to turn with any key. And of course when the key is in the start position the Park/Neutral switch keeps the starter from engaging.

Once I place the Sprinter in Park, I heard a click come from the steering column. Now the cylinder would not turn unless the proper key was inserted, and by the grace of that is all good, it started.

I think its the heat getting to me. Now on to the next project, fix my blower and AC.

Top Bottom