Diagnostic Code Help

ddev

Back in May I opened a thread concerning the loss of power in my 2003 Freightliner/Sprinter motorhome.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26587

Since that time I have had 900 miles of trouble free driving. I cleaned the ERG about 500 miles ago and carry materials to repair the intercooler hose on the road. On my way back from Ohio this weekend I had the problem again in the mountains. I was in cruise control and just lost power going up hill. Down hill and level areas I had no problem doing 65-70 MPH. I found a safe place to pull over and turned the RV off and back on . All was well again. So, I took the RV into the Dodge dealer today and had them do a DBRIII scan for codes. This is what they found.

Fault Code 1470-016
Turbocharge Wastegate Solenoid Positive Deviation

0x147010
Speed 2872 (RPM?)
Boost Pressure Spec 30.4 PSI
Boost Pressure Sol 74.9%
Boost Pressure 26.4 PSI
ATM Pressure 18.6 PSI
Injected Qty 59.7 mm3/strk
Mileage 53539
Fault Freq 2

The dealer had no clue what to do with this information. Any help in pinpointing the source of my intermittent problem would be appreciated. I will be heading to Syracuse, NY on Thursday, and I’m afraid that one of these days I’m not going to be able to reset myself out of LHM.

Thanks,
Dan

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Your Dealer must be idiots. The Sprinter Error Codes indicate:

P1470-016 - Charge Pressure Control - Charge Pressure is too low. Inspect EGR Valve (Y83), Boost Pressure Sensor (B112). Boost Pressure Control Valve (B87) and Vacuum Lines. Possible: Turbo is faulty or damaged.

They have a DRBIII to read these errors. Why did they not look up what it ment?

I would check the vacuum line to the actuator controller (under the Air Filter Assembly - NAFTA) - you can take the head light out to get to it, or the air filter assembly. The turbo actuator controller on my 2002 would have problems when it rained out (I taped up the wires to it, and also changed the actuator unit under the air filter). The wires/connector is positioned to where water can splash in easily. The tape was to make it more water proof.

You can take the cover off over the turbo charger (3 10mm bolts) and use ceramic brake lubricant on the moving parts on the turbo - The lubricant is sold at auto parts stores, in very small squeeze packages used when you change brake rotor pads - its usually on the counter when I buy parts. You don't need very much.

I also had an issue of water getting into my EGR connector - I taped it up with electrical tape (the rubber boot that might have been there at one time was missing).

Last edited:

ddev

jmoller99,
Thanks for your help

I stopped by another Dodge dealer today and talked with the sprinter mechanic. He believes as Jens does that the problem is in the area of the solenoid under the air filter assembly. While I was there I priced the cost of of a new boost pressure solenoid. The parts manager said he would give me the jobber price at $211. I notice that Europarts sells a replacement for about $140. If it turns out that I need to replace this part is it worth the cost savings to buy the item from Europarts instead of the Dodge dealer? Is there a quality difference?

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
More often than not, $4.00 worth of Vacuum hose will address this problem (if it has cracks in it, it will be leaking). The problem is that its in a very hard to get to place. If you were closer by, I could try my old actuator in there - it only has issues when its soaking wet out.

I bought my replacement actuator from Europarts. I took the air filter assembly out (its not fun).

Pictures of my actuator and assembly info here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23067&highlight=p1470

Also, I had water getting into the connector on the EGR (2002/2003 have the same EGR) - If you can, pull out that connector and spray some electrical contact cleaner on the cable end and into the connector on the EGR. You might just have dirty contacts (My 2002 was loaded with connector bad connections when I first got it - I went thru most of the connectors doing this, along with the fuses and relays - lots of inconsistent issues went away as a result of this cleanup effort).

You can get a can of spray electrical contact cleaner at most any auto parts store.

Last edited:

riskydnb

jmoller99,
Thanks for your help

I stopped by another Dodge dealer today and talked with the sprinter mechanic. He believes as Jens does that the problem is in the area of the solenoid under the air filter assembly. While I was there I priced the cost of of a new boost pressure solenoid. The parts manager said he would give me the jobber price at $211. I notice that Europarts sells a replacement for about $140. If it turns out that I need to replace this part is it worth the cost savings to buy the item from Europarts instead of the Dodge dealer? Is there a quality difference?
I can get the same part that Europarts has but for cheaper, text or call me @ 760.622.0148 if interested. -Randy

ddev

UPDATE: I pressure checked all of the vacuum lines, looked at the connections and lubed the turbo arm. Everything was fine. I found another local Dodge dealer that had the Boost Pressure Solenoid (5080371aa) in stock at a decent price. I decided to buy the part and give it a test on my way to Louisville next week. Well, I didn’t need to go that far away. I was able to put myself in LHM testing on some local hills today.
The original fault code, P1470-016 indicated a possible problem with the pressure solenoid, pressure sensor or the EMC. It seems to me that the next logical step would be to replace the pressure sensor (MB A0041533128). Any thoughts?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
next logical step would be to replace the pressure sensor (MB A0041533128). Any thoughts?
I would look at my ScanGauge and see what it reports the MAP as seeing...
(if the sensor's ground wire is broken, you'll see about 38 psi, if the signal wire is shorted or broken, or the 5v supply is sick you'll see about 2 psi)

--dick

Top Bottom