PDA

View Full Version : EGR Soot??? 2005 3500

skill3
07-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Please bear with me for asking what so many others have. I have read every thread I can find on LHM, loss of acceleration, no boost, etc. that I can find on this forum. I found lots of threads with similar problems, but very few posted exactly what solved their issue. Mine started two months ago when I found a lot of gunk on the intercooler to intake turbo hose. I cleaned it off by spraying brake cleaner on the hose. I didn't spray any components intentionally. The gunk just ran off the hose and it was clean. Two days later I start the van and take off. Immediately LHM, no codes. I came back and changed the hose and everything was fine. Two weeks later, I had loss of power again. I changed the other turbo hose, no help. When I bought the Sprinter, I had installed the turbo resonator eliminator, so I knew it was the resonator. For me, that only left the EGR. I ordered a new one, installed it. Problem solved and it drove fine. Two hundred miles later, I am on the interstate trying to change lanes. I get an opening and mash the throttle and I didn't have the normal turbo acceleration. It drives fine, no smoke, no codes and turbo boost works up to about 4000 rpm's and then it flattens out. I have since changed the MAF, MAP Sensor (Boost Pressure), Intake Air Temperature Sensor, and fuel filter. Today, I removed the 200 mile EGR valve and was surprised at how much soot was on it. Is this normal (see photos)? While out, I connected the harness and turned the ignition off then on to see if it clean cycled. It made noise and then made one partial sweep. I connected my old EGR and it made several sweeps. I buy all of my parts from Europarts and they are OEM. Could I have a bad new EGR valve? Is there a way to test it? I appreciate any help.

danielwgross
07-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi
Same problem here. Were is the EGR Valve located. I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter.
Thx

sailquik
07-24-2013, 02:57 AM
skill3,
You said your engine power...."flattened out"....@4000 RPM?
Did you notice that the tachometer starts to read in the Red Zone right around 4000 RPM.
I'll bet your engine RPMs spun right up to the rev. limiter that's programmed in for 4000 RPMs.
Maybe you are asking more from your engine than it was programmed to provide.
Could this be why your engine power..."flattened out".
Instead of changing every single sensor/hose/device on your engine and not having it make very much improvement,
why not visit a authorized dealer who can hook your Sprinter up to the MB SDS diagnostics system and perhaps tell you
precisely what is wrong.
Roger

skill3
07-24-2013, 03:22 AM
Didn't notice the Redline. I do know that before this problem started, the van felt like it had more power in reserve. Here's my scenario: on the Interstate running 60mph. I need to change lanes and I need to do it quickly. I drop down to 4th and floor it. It picks up slightly but not like it did before I started having EGR trouble. It didn't have real acceleration like in the past. I did just get a DAD unit that I am trying to understand. I'm 64 and not very knowledgeable about computers. I did manage to run the quick scan and no codes were shown. I was trying to run the EGR test when it began pouring down. Can you help me with what I need to look for on the EGR test? I noticed the rpm increase. Is this when I need to do the +5, wait two minutes and do the -5? Also, on the 95%, do that when the engine rpm increases or at idle? I've read the DAD manual and it really doesn't tell exactly when to run the test. Also, does the test ever end or do I stop it by canceling? You know, I just thought, you might not even know how the DAD functions. But if you do, I would really appreciate the help. I know I've gotten into the DAD questions area, but I'm already in this topic.
Thank you!

autostaretx
07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Given the soot in the EGR... that hints of "over rich" combustion... although i don't know how sooty a "normal" EGR would be.
(don't forget that the job of the EGR is to send exhaust back into the intake stream to reduce the amount of available oxygen being inhaled by the cylinders)
For me, that only left the EGR.
Well... it actually also leaves the intercooler itself...
but a leaking intercooler is (hopefully) fairly rare, and you'd have to look at where the gunk appeared on your hoses to assess if it could've come from the intercooler... i'd suspect the front of the engine would get "painted" in the leak's area.

--dick

autostaretx
07-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi
Same problem here. Were is the EGR Valve located. I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter.
Thx

It's item 4 in this drawing:

You can download the 2003 and 2006 service manual from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
That drawing is on chapter 9, page 6 of the 2006 manual.

--dick

autostaretx
07-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Based upon this posting http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251437&postcount=5
by Vic, it could also be an Oxygen sensor issue.

--dick