PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar for 2013?

jackfish
07-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know if the Hellwig #7254 rear sway bar replacement for the Sprinter 3500 will work on a 2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 cab chassis? This item is listed as a 2008-2012 Dodge Sprinter 3500 replacement.

I am interested in the sway bar in combination with Koni shocks.

chromisdesigns
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know if the Hellwig #7254 rear sway bar replacement for the Sprinter 3500 will work on a 2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 cab chassis? This item is listed as a 2008-2012 Dodge Sprinter 3500 replacement.

I am interested in the sway bar in combination with Koni shocks.

We have a Hellwig sway bar on our '13 cab/chassis that was factory installed by Coach House. Don't know if it was a bolt-on or if they had to do any fabrication to install it, though.

jackfish
07-11-2013, 01:39 AM
I finally got the word from Hellwig that their 7254 sway bar is a drop in replacement for the stock sway bar for the 2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 cab chassis. I will order one from SDTruckSprings tomorrow.

sailquik
07-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Jackfish,
What handling issue are you trying to correct with the Koni Shocks and Helwig anti-roll (anti-sway, but it corrects for body roll basically) bar.
I've found the stock rear suspension to be pretty good on 2010/2011/2012 NCV3 3500's.
What wheel base do you have 144"/170" or 170" Extended?
If you up the rate on the "sway" (anti-roll) bar, and you are trying to correct the body rocking side to side (rolling actually) when you go over speed bumps and driveways diagonally, the stiffer bar will probably make it sway more and for a few more cycles before it settles down.
The mission of the anti-roll bar is to keep the body bottom surface on the same plane as the centerline through the rear axle.
So when you go over anything diagonally, the rear axle lifts on one side, then the other, and this bends/deflects the anti-roll bar.
The rocking back and forth motion is simply the anti-roll bar going from bent (the arms on the end are no longer parallel) to straight with both trailing/leading arms on an equal plane.
Roger

jackfish
07-11-2013, 03:11 PM
I have a Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB. I've read that the Roadmaster and Hellwig replacement rear sway bars improve control during heavy winds and buffeting, and reduce excessive swaying when going over uneven surfaces diagonally. The Koni shocks are adjustable for a variety of driving and load conditions. Thanks.

Old Crows
07-11-2013, 03:39 PM
A humble suggestion, Jack....

You have a 2013 van... I'll guess you've not put a lot of miles on it at this point. Before making big changes to the suspension, it might be good to drive it awhile and understand its characteristics and handling.

Big sway bars have been the school solution for perceived handling problems in the past. Not sure that's true today where engineers try to build a supple suspension that can adapt to a wide variety of road conditions. More roll stiffness may not be a good thing for best handling and comfort in widely varying conditions in a street vehicle.

When encountering heavy gusts, winds the simple solution is to slow down. How often do you cross "diagonal" ( meaning sloped? slanted?) surfaces? Anyway, getting sideways on a slope is trouble...

jackfish
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
I just came back from a 4500 mile trip to Oregon/California. I got a bit of an idea about the vehicle during.

chromisdesigns
07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB. I've read that the Roadmaster and Hellwig replacement rear sway bars improve control during heavy winds and buffeting, and reduce excessive swaying when going over uneven surfaces diagonally. The Koni shocks are adjustable for a variety of driving and load conditions. Thanks.

Definitely improves the crosswind issue -- I've driven several different model Sprinter-chassis RVs with and without rear suspension mods, and the sway bar makes a big difference. Not that you won't still have to counter-steer into crosswinds, but it doesn't want to change lanes on you so much!

Jury is still out on the driveway/diagonal bump rocking issue. Frankly, I haven't noticed much difference among all of them in that regard. Our Coach House rocks over diagonal transitions, too. Not any more than any of the others, though.