Possible Alternator?

I know Ive seen these symptoms before on here, just cant find the threads.. I figured Id ask here before I take to the shop.

So I was hearing a small belt squel for a couple days at start up on my Sprinter. It went away after a couple mins though. We've been getting a lot of rain lately and I figured it was just the moisture in the air.

Got my SRS, ESP and the ABS light come on at once. Radio turned off and heat came out of vents. Luckily I was only a couple blocks from my house. As I was pulling up every light came on the dash and the van died. I was able to roll into my parking spot luckily. So battery is dead now. Im guessing its the alternator from the fact it has no power and the belt squeal. But I thought I read that some fuses could be the problem. Anyone had these symptoms before? I thought maybe a ABS module because of the 3 lights but then why would the car die and have no power. Any input would help. Thanks

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Sure sounds like lack of charge.
The squeal could have been the alternator failing to spin up until really forced.
Our alternators have an over-running clutch on the pulley, to allow the alternator to coast when the engine slows quickly.
If that fails, the alternator may not turn even though the belt is working properly.
It is possible to replace the clutch independently of the alternator, but the clutch type has to match the alternator.
If you buy a "real" MB alternator, i believe the package includes a new clutch.

No, it's 99% certain that it's not "just a fuse". Your alternator is not charging (although it could be as simple as a loose connection).
What's causing the Squeal can also damage the belt itself... inspect carefully for fraying (etc) and perhaps replace the belt, too.

--dick

Top Bottom