Which Sprinter to Buy??

kennneee

I apologize in advance if this topic has been beat to death in the past. I am new to Sprinters and need a bit of guidance. I currently drive a Toyota Tacoma pick up which has been a fabulous vehicle. My wife and I do a lot of travel in the Winter to escape the Canadian cold weather and have decided we need a different vehicle to haul our stuff and to be able to sleep in. I don't want an large RV and need to have a vehicle that can also be used to haul the occasional sheet of plywood etc. I have been a boat builder for most of my life so I am not daunted by building an interior in an unfinished vehicle. I can do a lot of maintenance myself and that will be a consideration when picking which series Sprinter I should buy.
I have been told that a 2006 would be the year to look for, but I am sure there are other opinions on that. The 118" or 140" wheel base seems to be in the size range that makes sense for our needs. I have never seen a 118" in person, so I don't have a sense of it's size. As far as the price range, we can be flexible. Since I am just staring to figure all of this out, all input is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Ken

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have never seen a 118" in person, so I don't have a sense of it's size
The 118" WB body length is 16 feet... with the step bumper added, it's 16' 6"
Which is very close to the length of a same-year Toyota Tundra. (if i recall correctly)
But the Sprinter can turn far tighter circles...
Flat-floor Distance from back-of-front-seats to rear door: 8 feet (plus an inch or two)

Passenger 118" dimensioned drawings (short roof): View attachment P2500HC-118.pdf

--dick

Last edited:

pfflyer

Welcome to the forum. From what I have read the 118" is rare in the States. Either way you cant go wrong. Sprinters for their size drive very close to a large car, SUV or pick-up. The 170" takes a little adjustment because of the length but sounds like a 170 is not on your radar. If you are buying used, use the search feature in the blue bar above to search for buying tips for a used Sprinter. Good luck and safe travels.

Here is a good start for your tips. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5174&highlight=buying+tips+sprinter

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I have never seen a 118" in person,
Yes, they're relatively rare (since FedEx and DHL don't drive them),
but if you ever see an old model (i.e. T1N) Sprinter drive by where both cargo area windows are the same size, it's a 118...

--dick (see <-- photo)

pfflyer

Personally I would find the best deal on the lowest miles possible. I like buying from owner/drivers verses fleet vehicles but with Sprinters that might limit your selection. After owning a 2002 and then a new 2013 I like the later. I love driving both though. Not much help but good luck.

icarus

Many people love the older series with the inline 5 engine, sans much of the emission stuff. Others, myself included love the newer version, despite the foibles of DPF and now wi th DEF. the older ones are now getting old enough that service is likely to be more of an issue. (not with the vehicle per se, but finding people who are familiar with them. That is also an issue with the newer versions, but three are more and more dealers it there, and more independents that do work on them.

I have an '08 and am very happy with it.

Welcome and keep in touch,

Icarus

Top Bottom