PDA

View Full Version : Sprinter- Winnebago View Fuel Gauge

TQUIN45
07-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I am fairly new to this forum but several weeks ago I did a thread on the fuel gauge in our View. My question is are we the only customer of the View (Sprinter) with a fuel system that is on empty at 19.4 gallons. After the light comes on (at empty) you do not know how much fuel you have remaining. All comments are welcome!
Tom Quinn

glas1700
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Do you have the T1N (I5) or NCV3 (V6) chassis? If your empty light comes on when you've used 19.4 gallons, you should have ~6.6 gallons remaining, based on a 26 gallon tank.

david_42
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
The T1N (pre-2007) has a 10% reserve, on the NCV3 it's closer to 20%. Sounds like you have a nominally functioning NCV3.

Old Crows
07-05-2013, 10:58 PM
No you are not the Lone Ranger. What Glass & Dave said...... ~6.6 gal when the light comes on. USABLE fuel is probably ~ 5 gal.... Unless you want to risk sucking the DI system dry or sucking water & crud into the system.

Personally, when it comes on I take the first opportunity to refuel.

icarus
07-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Mine always comes on at EXACLTY 20 gallons gone! Even though I know I have another ~5 gallons, I stop t the next available source.

Icarus

TQUIN45
07-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Thank you for the comments!! Yes, we do have the V6 or 3 L engine. And yes It does sound like it is operating the way it was designed but the design sucks!!!!! At 20 gallons of useful fuel and 16 mile/Gallon our range is only 320 miles = stopping way too often for fuel. The issue is even worse since Winnebago only allows you to use 3/4 of the tank for the diesel generator. Maybe I am unreasonable but the specs say 26.4 gallons. That suggested to me about 25 gallons of useful fuel. I hope other people take note of this short coming before they buy into this combination. It impacts a trip almost every day you are on the road.

Aqua Puttana
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
...At 20 gallons of useful fuel and 16 mile/Gallon our range is only 320 miles = stopping way too often for fuel. ...
You seem to be OK with numbers. Ignore the warning and use miles traveled by either the trip odometer or recording the miles at fill-up.

I often fuel up way earlier than normal depending upon my travels. As was mentioned earlier sometimes diesel pumps can be scarce as compared to petrol.

I drove cars that had no fuel warning light for most of my life. It's just a gadget. It doesn't need to control your life. vic

atulin
07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Thank you for the comments!! Yes, we do have the V6 or 3 L engine. And yes It does sound like it is operating the way it was designed but the design sucks!!!!! At 20 gallons of useful fuel and 16 mile/Gallon our range is only 320 miles = stopping way too often for fuel. The issue is even worse since Winnebago only allows you to use 3/4 of the tank for the diesel generator. Maybe I am unreasonable but the specs say 26.4 gallons. That suggested to me about 25 gallons of useful fuel. I hope other people take note of this short coming before they buy into this combination. It impacts a trip almost every day you are on the road.

A cheap way to get solve this is to buy an ultraguage - http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
(http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/)

You can set it up to display the percentage reading from the sender in the tank. I wouldn't do it if I can avoid it, but I've run my to 0% as I pulled into a station and I think it took about 26 gallons.

sailquik
07-08-2013, 03:35 PM
And your UltraGauge EM may also teach you how to drive the Sprinter (using %Engine LOaD as the primary factor) to bring your 16 mpg up to maybe 17 or 18 mpg.)
Driving more efficiently is better for fuel mileage and MUCH easier on your Sprinters drive train.
Plus it has all digital readings for Speed/RPM/ Coolant temperature/Boost Pressure/ and many more.
Roger

TQUIN45
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Thank you to those who took the time to respond. I will probably change the way Winnebago taps the system for fuel to avoid the 1/4 tank issue. I also will look at the UltraGauge to see if it may help. Adding an auxillary tank with a transfer pump will allow us to travel further between fuel stops. Not sure if there is room for an extra tank but I will look into it.
Thank you,
Tom

Old Crows
07-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you to those who took the time to respond. I will probably change the way Winnebago taps the system for fuel to avoid the 1/4 tank issue. I also will look at the UltraGauge to see if it may help. Adding an auxillary tank with a transfer pump will allow us to travel further between fuel stops. Not sure if there is room for an extra tank but I will look into it.
Thank you,
Tom

Tom, if I may suggest it.... It would not be a good idea to start messing with the Sprinter's fuel system to gain a questionable improvement inn fuel capacity. They are more complicated than you can imagine.....

chromisdesigns
07-09-2013, 04:01 PM

But, you DO have at least 25 gallons of useful fuel! Just consider the last 5+ gallons once the light comes on as your reserve. In the first 5000 miles driving our new Sprinter, I drove it down to and past the light several times. The first time was a bit nerve-wracking, I admit; but once I convinced myself that there really IS that reserve, I stopped worrying about it. My preference is to fill when one or two bars remain, but it's actually a bit comforting to realize that the reserve is there and useful.

I can see how the diesel generator thing would be frustrating, though. We have a propane generator so it's not an issue for us. You might be able to tee into the generator fuel line with a valve to allow it to run from a 5 gallon jug of diesel in the event your main tank is low. Depending on how much storage you have, a 5 gallon jug might be worth carrying in any case.

Even at 15 mpg, you have 300 miles before you even touch the reserve, that's not so bad in terms of motorhome range. Try driving a Ford V-10 chassis, you'd appreciate the Sprinter fuel mileage a bit more:wtf:

Also you might consider that the 17-20+ avg mpg figures you see quoted are probably NOT for fully-loaded Class C motorhomes like ours. The Class B's can achieve this, and the older pre-pollution control 5 cylinders. A newer V6 with all the pollution controls and running near gross weight isn't going to do it at highway speeds, though.

We averaged a bit over 16 mpg over 5000 miles cross-country from FLA to CA including a lot of mountain and secondary road driving. I wasn't unhappy with those figures. Best tank ever was a 18.5 mpg -- however, I'm not sure I trust that figure completely -- could have been from completely topped off to not-quite-full, or mostly downhill with a tailwind...Worst tank was 13.6 mpg after a hard day of climbing up towards the Continental Divide into a stiff headwind.

icarus
07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Where in N. America can you go an not be within ~500 miles of fuel? (excecpt very far northern Canada perhaps!) I have never felt the need for a longer range, and I have been in some very remote parts of N. America.

Icarus

Van_fl
07-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Be very aware on my 2010 3500 sprinter (2011 Prism) My warning light comes on between the 3rd and 2nd bar Each bar is 1/10 of a tank the 2010 book list the tank at 25 gal. At one bar when the bar is flashing you ARE OUT OF Fuel!!!. About 30 sec later at 55 mph engine dies. I won’t say how know. LOL
I thought I had about 6 gal left at the time.
Ps at 55 I am getting about 14 MPG