PDA

View Full Version : Check engine but no Code?

T.J.T
07-04-2013, 03:06 AM
So my 2008 threw a Check engine light today and I checked my Ultragauge for Stored TC or active TC and it came up blank with both.

The light is still on and it didnt go into Limp mode. I havent been having any problems with it and the light came back on mid day after I started my van.

Is it normal a Check Engine Light might not send a code to ultragauge?

icarus
07-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Try a number of restarts. A simple code should reset after half a dozen starts.

Icarus

T.J.T
07-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Thanks will give this a go tomorrow. I probably put about 4 starts since the light.

bcislander
07-04-2013, 04:30 AM
So my 2008 threw a Check engine light today and I checked my Ultragauge for Stored TC or active TC and it came up blank with both.

The light is still on and it didnt go into Limp mode. I havent been having any problems with it and the light came back on mid day after I started my van.

Is it normal a Check Engine Light might not send a code to ultragauge?

I've had the same experience, periodically, with my 2007. I just have my Ultragauge clear the Check Engine light, which remains OFF for some indeterminate time before turning ON again & I repeat the process.

The one time I happened to be taking my Sprinter in for servicing with the CE light ON, the Dealer was not able to determine the reason for the CE light to be ON. There were a lot of stored & active codes, but nothing that would obviously cause the CE light to turn ON. So, now I just have my UG clear the CE light & don't worry about it. :idunno:

icarus
07-04-2013, 04:33 AM
I am not sure that clearing codes is always a good idea. If you clear the codes, the proper dealer level scanner may not be able to retrieve real codes that have a real fault if you have deleted the codes. I'll let a scan tool expert confirm if I am right about this.

Icarus

bcislander
07-04-2013, 05:48 AM
I am not sure that clearing codes is always a good idea. If you clear the codes, the proper dealer level scanner may not be able to retrieve real codes that have a real fault if you have deleted the codes. I'll let a scan tool expert confirm if I am right about this.

Icarus

My feeling is that if it's a 'real' code, the CE light will come on again after one or two starts. So far, I haven't had this happen.

johnshmit
07-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I've had the same experience, periodically, with my 2007. I just have my Ultragauge clear the Check Engine light, which remains OFF for some indeterminate time before turning ON again & I repeat the process.

The one time I happened to be taking my Sprinter in for servicing with the CE light ON, the Dealer was not able to determine the reason for the CE light to be ON. There were a lot of stored & active codes, but nothing that would obviously cause the CE light to turn ON. So, now I just have my UG clear the CE light & don't worry about it. :idunno:

That what cause light to turn on - active codes. It will shut off after 3 good trips usually.
Ultragauge does not have that code in its database and returns nothing.

lindenengineering
07-04-2013, 04:50 PM
First thing that comes to mind is a P code which reads unidentifiable code.

Not unusual to find in the world of motor vehicle diagnostics. Its usually based upon an instant lack of communication or a component glitch often upon start up or as the system goes closed loop. Focus on the battery and main circuits as the possible culprit as the vehicle powers up and runs below system voltage for a short period. BUT don't sweat it if its a one off!

First place I go looking if it is a persistent or frequent fault is grounding issues, or its "yur erfs mate" if you were on the other side of the pond! (referring to earthing of ground cables etc)

In your case I would simply get it cleared with a scanner and see if it comes back.

To understand this a bit more try to imagine an office with enough people to emulate a component on your Sprinter . The office has a resident doctor who is flitting from office member to office member checking their vital signs. If one is a bit off color that person is flagged for more attention, a soft code. If the off color symptom continues long enough it becomes a hard code, mil lamp comes on~ put in isolation! Like doctors, the operating system can't always diagnose the problem so the system flags a fault, with no identifiable description.

I had the issue recently on a 2008 CRD unit. Following a fire up and boxing up of the rig after doing swirl valve problems the light came on. Unidentifiable fault,
I traced the possible issue to the ground cable on the frame near the inter cooler feed U tube.
Having cleaned it up I cleared the codes and it never came back!
Lucky shot or just a glitch who knows!

Dennis

T.J.T
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Icarus was dead on, well he was off by one start. After my 7th start the light went out. Still no TC on ultragauge and everything running well again.

Ill keep an eye on it coming back but for now its running like it was last week.

:cheers:

Thanks guys.

bcislander
07-05-2013, 12:07 AM
That what cause light to turn on - active codes. It will shut off after 3 good trips usually.
Ultragauge does not have that code in its database and returns nothing.

I just had a chance to find the DTC printout. The only Active DTCs were:

9000 - EISCGW Control Module Internal Fault - Part of the HVAC system, I believe
901C - ACH Flame Sensor Circuit Performance - Also Part of the HVAC system, but I believe it has to do with the Espar heater, which I know does not work.

So, the UG cannot read the HVAC module codes, or at least cannot provide any useful info.