How far can I go without a good alternator?

jcjacobvt

So I have ordered an alternator but might not see it until Friday. Checked all the cables and wires, and replaced my main battery today with a brand new one. The big question now is how far can I travel if the alternator is going from 13.7 volts to 12.5 volts and the battery light is on and off from time to time? I need to travel 105 miles to the hospital and back so 210 miles tomorrow and my van is the only vehicle I have as it is a wheelchair setup for me.
I have wired the aux. battery so I can switch to it for emergency starting purposes thru a high amp boat switch but worry that leaving that switch one to the second battery will burn up the factory wire that is the trickle change for the aux. battery. Anyone??

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Get another vehicle. Sprinters are really picky about voltage and if it sags much below 12v, my experience is that they just shut off.
What's worse, having to find another vehicle/ride to the Hospital or breaking down on the side of the road?
I personally didn't let my wife and kids drive around with a bad alternator in our Sprinter. Too much of a hassle to rescue them and the Sprinter if they broke down.
Just my 2cents.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I drove for 400 miles in North Dakota on a bad one that went in and out, but when it finally gives up the ghost, it will go fast. Mine had bad bearings in the alternator. At slower speeds it charged, anything above 65 and the battery light came on.

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Drove about 6 miles without, belt was in pieces, alternator lost its pulley, had to stop multiple times and shut down to avoid overheating.

bc339

Is it worth the risk?

There are too many what if's - you will be starting a trip knowing that you have a problem, waiting for a failure. Why start a trip stressed out?

How much would it cost to rent a vehicle for a day or two? Compare this price to what a tow to recover your Sprinter, plus time lost, where (and when) you might break down.
This is all part of risk management - take in all the factors - weather, time, your energy and stress level (rested or up all night), vehicle and road conditions, then base your answer on that. Sometimes it's good to listen to that little voice in your head telling you what to do.

Could you reschedule to after you replace the alternator? Do you have a friend that could help you out if you can't rent a vehicle?

Bruce

jcjacobvt

Thank you all for the feedback, I have canceled my appointment and will reschedule until my Sprinter is fixed. renting a wheelchair vehicle in this area would be very costly and not worth it to me who will be putting all money into repairs for my vehicle, rather then giving money to strangers. Sorry, long day and bad attitude today.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I was running a route for the North Dakota lottery and had no choice but to drive mine. No dealer anywhere in ND had the alternator. I ordered one 2nd day air from Europarts, that Sunday the Denver Airport gets 2ft of snow and the 2 day delivery turns into 5 days. I finally got the alternator by driving back 300 miles to Bismark ND. Carried the new alternator in my truck until I found a mechanic that looked reputable. I helped him install it to make sure it was right. Turned out to be one of those farm co-op stores in the middle of nowhere and he ran the garage. My butt was puckered the whole time the alternator was on the fritz, once I had the replacement in the van I guessed that if the other one failed, I would just change it on the side of the road. (-15 degrees at night, warming to a balmy 0 degrees during the day)

Nice guy was on his way out the door to go home at 5:30 when I got there. stayed late and only charged me 75 to install it, gave him 150 instead and went on my way.

People all over this country are basically good. :bow:

Top Bottom