PDA

View Full Version : Engine light, but no codes?

ptatters
06-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Running a 2007 Sprinter passenger, slowly converting it for RV use. I installed an Ultragauge II a little while ago, but while I was building a piece of furniture I wasn't driving the van for a couple of weeks afterward. I finally got back on the road and the engine light stayed on. Power seemed low, and according to the Ultragauge, boost pressure was low-to-nonexistent. I figure there's a problem somewhere in the turbo boost system, and I'll get it fixed.

I have two questions, though. The dealer I bought the van from suggested that the problem may have been triggered by leaving the van sitting in the driveway for too long, and suggests that from now on I should start the van every couple of days and rev the engine a couple of times to prevents the boost actuator "sticking." Does that seem reasonable?

The other thing is the fact that though the engine light came on, the Ultragauge showed no codes when I scrolled through the menus, and attempts to turn off the engine light were ineffective. Should I have seen codes? Did the light not turn off because the problem still existed (I expected the light to turn off, then turn back on again for that reason)? Is my Ultragauge defective (a suggestion by one of the workers in the garage, but I'm not sure if he was qualified to comment)?

icarus
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
The dealer is full of it!

With no boost, you either have an EGR issue messing with the turbo control, defaulting to no boost, or you have a charge air leak between the turbo and the intake. Look Orr loos hose clamps, cracked fittings, or ultimately a leaking inter cooler.

Most likel, since it has been sitting, it is in the EGR IMHO, since a charge air leak wouldn't "just appear" from sitting.

Icarus

PS An ultra gauge (while a useful add on) won't reveal all sprinter codes. Find a better dealer, or mechanics with a proper MB scan tool. Since you know have no boost, you know whe to start!

autostaretx
06-27-2013, 12:01 AM
There are two classes of codes: active and stored.
For many faults, the Sprinter will turn on the CEL (check engine light), and then *leave it on*, even if the root cause has gone away.
If the fault does not recur in a few (three is the usual) engine off/engine on cycles, the light goes out.

I don't have an UltraGauge, so i don't know if it can access the stored codes (the ScanGauge can).
With the NCV3 (2007 and newer) the ScanGauge has more problems reporting the proper codes than it did with the T1N.

--dick

ptatters
06-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Matters have progressed somewhat, and I am now being told the swirl actuator and manifold will have to be replaced. Since I'm not being charged - and from what I've read online, it seems to be a costly fix - I'm accepting this as the cause of the problem.

showkey
06-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Matters have progressed somewhat, and I am now being told the swirl actuator and manifold will have to be replaced. Since I'm not being charged - and from what I've read online, it seems to be a costly fix - I'm accepting this as the cause of the problem.

Curious on the mileage????

ptatters
06-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Mileage is about 240,000 km. In its previous existence the van was a shuttle for a Dodge dealership, and I'm wondering if there's a driving pattern in that use which would tend to build up crud in the engine.

showkey
06-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Mileage is about 240,000 km. In its previous existence the van was a shuttle for a Dodge dealership, and I'm wondering if there's a driving pattern in that use which would tend to build up crud in the engine.

Common link on swirl valves in the past is usually high miles. Swirl valve and EGR see alot of crud in just about every driving style or use.

:hmmm::hmmm:I would suspect your EGR valve and EGR cooler might need work too?

ptatters
06-30-2013, 11:30 AM
It's very possible that the EGR valve and cooler need further work, but it's not something where I have much control. The current work is being done without charge, and I don't want to push for further work, even if it would preventative maintenance.

ptatters
07-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Ok, after EGR and manifold replacement all was well for a brief time, but after a short (perhaps 2 hours) time the Check Engine light came on at startup, and once more the Ultragauge showed no codes and couldn't turn the light off. I took it back to the dealer, the mechanic started a particulate filter regen using the computer, and the problem went away. For a while. Now it's back, and my assumption in the absence of codes is that a few successive regens will clear out the filter and the rest of the system and fix the problem on a more permanent basis. Is there any simple way to trigger a regen without using the MB computer program?

showkey
07-05-2013, 03:45 AM
[QUOTE=ptatters;248926 Is there any simple way to trigger a regen without using the MB computer program?[/QUOTE]

No the MB tester is needed to manually regen. If all the systems are ok......the highway driving is the best chance of getting regen to complete on its own. Normal regen might be done at 700 to 1000 mile intervals.

If yours is needing more regen ..........then at your high mileage the DPF maybe junk or partially plugged??????

ptatters
07-05-2013, 12:20 PM
From the sound of things I 'm going to have to try to get my mechanic to be more forthcoming about details. He did say that following the EGR and manifold replacement I would be getting more frequent regens for a while. The past few days have all been city driving, so I suppose that would make things worse - any regen that did start on its own would be partial, at best.