converter shot?

rayvin58

The coach batteries on our new '13 Era are not charging on shoreline power or gen, only when running engine. Service depts at all winnie dealerships are backed up for at least 2 weeks, at least the ones within 2 hours of us. So looking for tips on tshooting the converter. I get 23.5 v at the batt terminals on the front of the board connected to shore power, 11.08 v when unplugged... Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

bobojay

First question, do you have the coach battery switch turned on when plugged in? Not sure if it has to be for them to charge.
When you say batt terminals on the front of the board, you mean the 2 terminals on the bottom right front of the converter, under the cover with the 8ga. black & green wires?
The 23.5v reading has got me puzzled though......

rayvin58

First question, do you have the coach battery switch turned on when plugged in? Not sure if it has to be for them to charge.
When you say batt terminals on the front of the board, you mean the 2 terminals on the bottom right front of the converter, under the cover with the 8ga. black & green wires?
The 23.5v reading has got me puzzled though......
Yeah, switch is on, no power to coach otherwise. Yes on the 2 terminals, although mine are on the left. Are there fuses built into the actual converter box (which is right behind the power dist. panel, accessed easily by removing the 3 drawers in the closet). I can't seem to find any. Not sure why I'm getting the 23.5 v when I'm plugged into 120 shoreline either, bobojay.

bobojay

rayvin58, which ERA do you have? 70A or X....sounds like 70A

Are you sure you have your multi meter on DC setting when taking readings

All the fuses are on the front of the converter when you drop the front cover

Last edited:

rayvin58

Yeah, it's the 70A, and it did turn out to be the converter. Got it replaced under warranty and all is well in RV power land. I did have the multimeter on the correct settings, DC of course, but still not sure why the voltage got doubled when hooked up to shore line. Maybe the bad converter had something to do with that. Thanks again for your help and responses, bobojay, and hope you had a good holiday weekend...

Top Bottom