Transmission Leak at Shift Rod Seal

gasteps

I have a 2005 140 cargo. After much work searching, cleaning, examining, and draining (twice), finally figured out where my ATF leak is coming from. The Shift Rod Seal is toast. It's in two pieces that I can see by moving the rod around. Tough to source that seal but I will order from Dodge or MB.

Now, am I able to safely remove that rod to replace the seal, without pulling the valve body? That is, can I:
1. Pull the torx set bolt which holds the rod
2. pull the torx and dowel holding the spring pushing on the detent
3. carefully slide the shift rod out
4. pull the failed seal
5. replace with new
6. and reinstall rod/ detent spring

I really don't want to pull the valve body but the dowel I'm assuming must connect something more than that spring?

Thanks for your help!

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I'm pretty sure I have this same leak, the tranny is wettest at the shift rod, I did just thoroughly clean the trans so I'm sure a short drive will highlight the exact source...

At any rate, how do you fix this leak?

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I found this for a Mercedes 95 E300 Sedan,

UPDATE: Part # for seal 006 997 01 47

I was able to replace this seal without removing driveshaft or tranny..

Remove neutral saftey switch. . Drop pan, remove filter, Remove allen head screw that retains gear selector shaft ( must use shifter to be able to shift and gain acess to screw). Then remove shift linkage and pull selector shaft out. Remove old seal. Take a 1 1/2" 3/8 bolt with a heavey washer next to head , put new seal on bolt, tapered edge towards inside and start seal in hole . Once threads are inside tranny put a nut on and tighten bolt to PULL seal in.
There's a few things I left out but thats was the Jist of it.

Warning: Order 2 seals. In case you screw one up.
Also towards rear of car there is a quarter size disk on the same side as shaft selector that also could leak fluid.
If it's leaking tranny must be removed from car.

Anyone know if that is relatively applicable for a T1N?

My van is a 2003...

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I did find this pic, looks like a torx screw will let the shift rod come out, this pic is with the valve body removed...

And a pic from the other side with the valve body in place,

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Drain the tranny pan, drop the pan, remove the shifter detent spring, then remove the torz screw holding the shift rod into the tranny, put tranny in Reverse, slide shift rod out, pry out old seal. press new seal in (this was a bit tough, the seal is quite small and the first one I tried to press in went in crooked, luckily I bought 2), reassemble and refill tranny.

Benw82

2003 T1N
Drain the tranny pan, drop the pan, remove the shifter detent spring, then remove the torz screw holding the shift rod into the tranny, put tranny in Reverse, slide shift rod out, pry out old seal. press new seal in (this was a bit tough, the seal is quite small and the first one I tried to press in went in crooked, luckily I bought 2), reassemble and refill tranny.
this the correct seal? https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/01029717B
press it in with a bolt, washers and a nut?

Last edited:

Top Bottom