PDA

View Full Version : Occasional no start - Y cable?

dwaugh10
06-23-2013, 05:00 PM
I have a RV based on a 2008 "dodge" 3500 chassis. Recently I have been experiencing a no start problem. Turn the key several times and no crank, I do hear the normal "whiring" under the dash when the key is inserted and a distinct click sound when I try to start but no crank. So far it has started after several attempts. After driving it a few miles to the house, it would restart with no problems. I noticed that the scan guage is showing 13.6 volts when the engine is running, which is not usual. Normally I see 14.1 volts. I checked the voltage at the battery and see 14.05v and 14.08v at the jump post under the hood. I checked the start battery with a 100 amp tester and it appears to be OK. Any thoughts on what to look at?

David
2008 3500 chassis

rb3232
06-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Here is the whole story: (Thanks to Vic for organizing the thread.)

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86851#post86851

I am having similar issues. I priced the cable at Dodge And MB. MB was lowest at about $176? I don't recall precisely. I have chosen to solder all 5 connections using flux I found I could pull back the insulation on the cables and push it back after the soldering. I loosened the strain reliefs on the fusible link, removed the insulation and crimped the relief on to the copper cable. That gave me a good area to solder. I just have to install it now. Good luck, Ross

rb3232
06-26-2013, 03:48 AM
The soldered cable appears to be a success.