EDC Light

NS215

Hi

A problem has occured on my 2004 311 cdi

EDC light came on and van cut straight out, turned off ignition and van restarted straight away, it did this a couple more times getting home!!!!

Had my mechanic round to have a look and BLACK DEATH was very evident, middle two injectors
had all all 4 injectors removed and tested, all knackered, so 4 new ones purchased, injector bores were cleaned out with a seating tool then new injectors fitted, van fired up all well and good, took it for a test drive and all was going well till I got to about 3000rpm, EDC light back on and van cut out, turned ignition off and van restarted straight away so tootled it back home.
Edited, just to add had a new fuel filter fitted as well

Any ideas as to the cause before I ring the mechanic back with the bads news lol

Any ideas much appreciated

Cheers from a wet and windy UK

Last edited:

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
First thing you should do-find new mechanic, as he is not so good with troubleshooting. Black death had nothing to do with the symptoms you had.

NS215

Had it plugged in and coming up with fault code P1187 fuel rail
Pressure monitoring malfunction

Boater

I don't know much about the cdi systems, but the code suggests either a problem with the fuel rail pressure, or the fuel rail pressure sensor. If you are not getting enough pressure at the fuel rail, or the ECM thinks you aren't due to the sensor it will shut the engine down.

Since your mechanic has recently worked on the fuel system that will be the first suspect, slight airleak at a pipe union, damaged o-ring something like that. Also check the wiring to any sensors in the fuel rail (squirt of electrical cleaner, and reseat plugs). If the diagnostic tool was a proper one it would have most likely listed a resistance value for the sensor, or maybe an output voltage at certain operating conditions, maybe something for testing insulation - if you use a generic code reader you won't get that info. If you get those sort of clues you can get an auto-spark to check it out and see if it it seems to be good or not. There are some threads about fuel rail pressure sensor issues, probably worth trying the forum search to see if anything useful comes up.

NS215

Finally sorted the problem
One of the new injectors was faulty,
thanks for taking the time to respond, much appreciated

Top Bottom