Rollover question

birdman

I'm close to purchasing a Sprinter for my family of 5. It seems perfect for hauling them, their instruments (they are a bluegrass band), and band equipment. However, the 1-star rating from the US government for rollovers is concerning. It also doesn't seem consistent with what I find on the internet which implies that these Sprinter vans are good at avoiding rollovers due to Rollover Mitigation developed by Mercedes. What should I think? Are rollovers a big worry with these Sprinters?

showkey

rollover mitigation helps to avoid rollovers........

once the van rolls the 1 star rating implies it does not perform as well as other vehicles (crash worthiness) roof crush and injuries more likely.

Rollover crashes are small % of the total # of accident scenarios, vans and SUVs have a higher CG so they represent more potential to have a rollover accident. So only you can only be the judge the potential risks. Getting out of bed has risks:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

A smaller Van like the Honda, Toyota or Chrysler will likely have a much better crash rating but a large compromise on carrying capacity etc. which is obvoius.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Rollover? In part it depends upon how you drive (or what you encounter).

The ESP system works by applying the brakes to slow you down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCfHQxJFYw

..there are times when you may not want that.
I suppose you could add the training wheels shown in the video (then you'd probably need a "Wide Load" placard)

The earlier (2006 and older) models didn't have the full ESP system the new ones have.
There are a few shots of rolled sprinters on the web from those years, and you can find some battered-on-side photos of newer sprinters that went down embankments after leaving the road.
On the other hand, most folks who have seen such (there's a member's posting of an RV-equipped sprinter being clipped and falling on its side at speed) have reported that the occupants escaped relatively unharmed. (kitchen contents thoroughly homogenized).

Which is not to say it doesn't happen:
Here's one of Richard's Aussie photos... note the grass crammed into the wheel rim.
Ambulances are frequently hit from the side by people not stopping for their sirens.
rolled2.jpg
Note how little passenger area deformation happened. (and that's the old model)

Other threads with tales of survivability:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21717
and people *trying* (but failing) to flip them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhrSAMIbYcM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MyJHKsWTko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8ZN0v6mkE

--dick

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Compared to SUVs & pickups.... it is the least of my worries. The electronic stability control helps.... so does careful driving.

showkey

Given the market competition the next generation ( redesign) Sprinter will most likely be designed to achieve better crash ratings.

mdhutch2

I'd like to second the opinion that the stability control works well. It works unbelieveably well. If a Sprinter does everything else you need a van to do, I wouldn't worry too much about the possibility of rolling over. They really are not top heavy unless you load it that way. Any situation that causes one to tip over is probably going to get any other van, especially if you load properly and drive sanely and defensively. Do as I say and not as I did!

Recently, I was returning from Dallas to Seattle in our 2012 Freightliner 144. I was carrying all my daughter's belongings home from grad school. All her stuff was in the way back of my partially converted travel van. I'm guessing it was close to the rated GVWR and definitely tail heavy.

It was very windy (why is the wind always in your face in Texas?) as I drove across the panhandle towards Raton, NM. Late in the afternoon, the road climbed a small pass and went through a cut in the top of the hill.

Going about 75 mph, I emerged from the cut in the hill and got absolutely slammed by the wind directly on the port beam. My wild guess is 40 mph or higher. Instantly the van moved about 2 feet to the right and as I corrected the steering the stability control system kicked in and it was amazing. It went from feeling totally out of control to locked onto rails in a split second. I've never experienced anything quite like that.

Other than an overdose of adrenaline, it was one of the coolest automotive experiences I've ever had. My old VW camper would have been in Oklahama and my old Econoline would likely have been all the way to the far edge of the shoulder, if not in the weeds.

Incidentally, I got to attend the Sprinter Tour in Seattle last year. I've been up on two wheels in the van with the outriggers and this wind blast was WAY more exciting.

Now if I can just learn from my experience and slow down a little more when the wind blows, I'll be even safer!

birdman

I'm convinced. Thanks for the info. My wife's almost convinced. She drove a Sprinter yesterday and liked it.

Top Bottom