Brake Pad Dummy Light problem

svaric2

Yea... so I changed the both the pads and rotors (only front) for the first time at 38,000 miles. (3500 model by the way, with Bosch calipers).

But now I'm getting the brake pad sensor light on... And Im pretty sure I put the sensors in right. They just slide right into the brake pad, and connect the other end to the receiver.

Could it be that I have to reset the light? Or is it that I have to change the rear pads too? (by the way, don't the rear pads and rotors last double the mileage as the fronts?)

if anyone can advise me, id appreciate it.

thanks

TV Sprinter

I can't help with your sensor trouble, but it obviously is either a malfunction, you need rear pads, or they were installed improperly.

With regard to rear brakes - I had mine changed for the first time at 71,000. They were completely worn and were replaced just in time (1st change).

My fronts are still in service but need changing at 78,000. When I brought the truck in for an inspection, the tech mentioned that it's not uncommon for the rear brakes to be changed before the fronts in a heavy Sprinter. Heavy trucks work like this - some 10 wheel dump trucks don't even run front brakes!!! :shhh:

The brake bias in a car is around 70% front, 30% rear. I'm not sure of the exact proportions in the Sprinter, but with the wear I had on the rear brakes, it's possibly 60% rear 40% front.

mgace2500

i have a 2500.did the front brakes at 28,000.checked the rear ones and they have alot to go before i need to change them.i dont see how you could have messed up on the front.they are vary easy.i would check them over to make sure everything is inline.take both rear weels off to check them too.its most likely something on the front ones though.

svaric2

Did your wear sensor light go away after you installed the brakes? Maybe I just need to reset the light? On my pontiac I have to reset the change oil light, soo...i dunno.

my van is loaded with heavy tools though, but they are mostly towards the front end of the van, im not too sure that the rears would wear out first.. in any case ill check out the rears when i have the chance.

thanx for the imput.

Top Bottom