2012 Conversion on a 2003 158" WB 3500 cargo van

spaceman

This is a description of a 2003 3500 Sprinter conversion I designed and then had built with some features not normally found on Sprinters. It is designed to be totally self contained with an emphasis on dry camping. First, some general comments and then a list of features.

All tanks except for propane are within the van to minimize problems in cold weather. Propane is used for the cook top only and diesel elsewhere to facilitate travel in countries where propane is less widely available than diesel. The toilet and waste system consists mainly of marine components. The toilet is a ceramic marine toilet with a built-in 9.5 gallon holding tank and an additional 12 gallon rear tank to which toilet is pumped before evacuation from the van. The toilet has a SOG venting system which works very well to eliminate odors during use. The dump systems uses a marine diverter valve to switch between black and gray tanks, a macerator pump, and a one inch flexible hose connecting via a cam and groove system. The hose is six feet long and is very compact when rolled up.

An excellent metal fabricator cut the sliding door in half, one half fixed and the other made into an entry door with a commercial lever door handle.

1. Two diesel heaters, one under the front seat and one in the rear that also heats hot water.
2. SMEV two burner cook top (low CO emissions) using propane from a 6.9 gallon tank underneath the van. My other RV's use Attwood cooking components and with them I have to start the fan to get rid of CO. Not with the SMEV.
3. 35 gallons gray and 35 gallons fresh
4. The shower is only partially walled and then curtained so both cab seats can swivel to rear. Shower water pumped back to rear gray tank to avoid a conventional shower drain.
5. Six foot full size bed that lifts with storage underneath
6. 880 watts of solar that can generate a maximum of 60A
7. Inverter type microwave that uses only the amount of current necessary for the power setting requested
8. True sine wave inverter.
9. All lights are LED giving off 420 Lumens and draw about 260 milliamps each
10. 200 amp alternator with automatic relay to charge house batteries.
11. Four AGM 6V 220 AH batteries.
12. Small fixed dining table
13. Pull out step to get into 40"+/- high bed
14. 16" tires added with spare mounted via rear receiver hitch
15. Usual cabinet, closets, drawers, etc.
16. Multiple 12V outlets for charging various devices.
17. Seitz dual pane acrylic awning windows.
18. 7.4 cu.ft. 12V refrigerator

We have been using it for a couple of months now and are very happy with the design.

We are currently in Norway and do not have regular Internet, so if you have questions, it may take me a while to get them answered.

Larry

Attachments

d_bertko

A lovely design.

We winter camp here in the northern US so we keep our water inside, too.

That's a big fridge---I'm guessing much of that solar goes to support it.

If you have surplus power you could probably add an induction cooktop and skip the propane partly or entirely.

how did you insulate for the cold conditions?

Dan

spaceman

The fridge is a 12V Nova-Kool which uses under 4A DC when running. I am not sure what the duty cycle is but less than 50%, I believe. The van is insulated with sprayed in foam except for the floor which is 1" of polyisocyanate rigid foil backed foam. Even though the 200A alternator produces more than enough current to almost immediately bring the house batteries to absorption voltage, I prefer not to run the engine when parked. I could have used less solar, but I didn't want a generator, and I know from experience that when parked on dark overcast days even with the the amount of solar I have, the batteries may fall behind. When the sun is shining, I am fully charged by noon or less.

Never thought about an induction heater, thanks for the suggestion.

Larry

Top Bottom