06 sprinter weird radio problem data bus issue

ts55

Ok I have an 06 sprinter 2500 cargo base customer complaint was radio and blower motor intermittanlt stop working. Verifying the problem i noted that the blower motor and radio work fine until the engine is started about 5 seconds after starting it the radio shuts off and the blower motor only works on high.....stranger yet when you turn the blower motor to high the radio comes back on...pin checked the radio looking for missing signals nothing changes (all power and grounds are good) so it has to be data bus related...also noted that after the radio turns off if you turn on the headlights the radio comes on for about 3 seconds and shuts back off. The radio sets trouble code b-1011 over voltage detected (vehicle voltage remains 13.8 to 14.1 consistently) Im out of time on this one so i thought i would throw it out there...any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Trevor

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Is this the stock setup, or is there an aftermarket radio installed (I suspect a wiring error if this is an aftermarket radio installed). The speed control is managed thru a resistor block - and the voltage for that will vary depend on what speed you choose. If the radio only works on high, which is full voltage setting for the fan, how did the radio get tied into that for power?

ts55

Hi, stock radio with no mods, all wiring to radio is untouched...I think for whatever reason the data bus is shutting off the radio...looking at the wiring diagram I dont see the connection between the two other than the climate control unit and radio share the data bus...its a weird one...possible rodent action also but haven't found a smoking gun....thanks for your input

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
These 2 items are completely separate form each other (I replaced my radio - it's power goes to a completely different fuse from the Blower). I don't think that radio is tied to any data bus.

Has anyone wired anything into the fuse box under the steering column or under the drivers seat? I know that some transport companies splice into some of these fuses (a very bad idea) and may have shorted something out.

Did it just recently start doing this?

ts55

Pretty sure it is connected to the data bus as i can communicate with the radio when it is on, unless there is a separate audio controller somewhere...no new wiring just started happening while he was on a long trip..I did pull two rodent nests out of the vehicle but did not see any damage from them

autostaretx

Erratic Member
trevor said:
I have an 06 sprinter 2500 cargo base
(a) what country are you in
and/or/better
(b) is a T1N or an NCV3? (Europe got the NCV3 in model year 2006)

I believe "2006" was a transition year, and some NCV3 "features" (such as the CANbus talking to the radio) may have appeared early.
Even in the older T1N, there was a K-line (shared with the TCM) that provided a diagnostic connection to the radio.

But your symptoms sound more like a loose connector, bad ground (radio-to-ground current goes through the blower instead of directly to the frame kind'a thing), or damaged cable harness (so cross-connections between otherwise separate circuits)

--dick

ts55

Hi, USA its a t1n..... I pin checked the radio power and ground both loaded and unloaded ground is good, power (term 30 and 15) is = to charging current which is 13.8 to 14v Thanks for your input. I even unplugged the climate control unit and the radio still shuts off...when i get it back im going to scope the network for unusual activity but its still weird

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well, for what it's worth, here's the blower resistor chunk of the circuitry, followed by the "zoomed out" place in the flow of things.
These are available (along with the radio circuitry and power distribution layouts) in the 2006 service manual at: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

BlowerResistor.jpg

HeaterFan.jpg

HeaterPower.jpg

enjoy
--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom