PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Info

Classic Marine
06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
I had the A service the other day and learned some super useful info from M/B.
My 2012/144 low roof cargo has the fuel gauge that looks like a ramp with 10 sections in it.
When the fuel light comes on there is still one bar left... it takes 19 gallons to fill the tank .
The tank is 27 gallons I thought .
So here is the learned info.
The last bar will disappear when there is 1.4 gallons left...!!
Fuel light stays on.
Nerves are calmed now.....

sailquik
06-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Almost correct..... the tank holds 100 liters which equals 26.41721 US gallons.
26.41721 US gallons/100 liters - 6.604301 US gallons/25 liters =19.812909 US gallons/75.00002 liters of fuel used when the flashing light
comes on and the last bar shows.
I've never gone until the last bar disappeared and I probably won't. Running out of fuel in a common rail diesel is
not a wise thing to do. That super high pressure rail pump will not like it if you run it dry, even for the time it takes for the
engine to shut down. I suspect that the pressure will fluctuate enough as the pump begins to starve for fuel that the rail
pressure sensor will shut your engine off.
Roger

madd58
06-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Ok, So Is it 1.4 or 6.6 US Gal. remaining when fuel light comes on?
Thanks!:dripsarcasm:

madd58
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
...Re-read posts;
6.6 US Gal remain when Light illuminates
1.4 US Gal remain when last bar disappears
GOT IT:bash:

Aqua Puttana
06-13-2013, 10:24 PM
...The last bar will disappear when there is 1.4 gallons left...!!
Fuel light stays on.
Nerves are calmed now.....
Just click your heels together three times while driving and say, "There is fuel in there... I believe... there is fuel in there... "

Good info to have. :thumbup: vic

atulin
06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
I was being stupid yesterday and found myself running for a few miles with the ultragauge fuel level reading at 0% - It took 25.6 gallons

icarus
06-13-2013, 11:06 PM
When my fuel light comes on, it takes exactly 20 gallons. I know I have enough fuel for another 80-100 miles, but my anxiety forces me to get fuel ASAP. I guess that is the intention.

Icarus

showkey
06-14-2013, 02:02 AM
When my fuel light comes on, it takes exactly 20 gallons. I know I have enough fuel for another 80-100 miles, but my anxiety forces me to get fuel ASAP. I guess that is the intention.

Icarus

My exact same experience.....exactly 20 gallons left.......fuel light on with 5 gallons left sounds like a lot unless your on state highways in western Kansas at 3:00 AM....pulling trailer.:hmmm::hmmm:

chromisdesigns
06-14-2013, 02:55 AM
I was being stupid yesterday and found myself running for a few miles with the ultragauge fuel level reading at 0% - It took 25.6 gallons

That's pretty darn close to none left!

On our 2013 chassis, once the "fuel" light comes on, with one fuel gauge bar remaining, and flashing, it's taken between 20 and 22 gallons to fill the tank, depending on how far I let it go past that. I think the light comes on very close to 20 gallons used.

I'm getting in the habit of starting to look for fuel when there are 3 bars left on the gauge.

Also I've noticed that the gauge is not very linear -- ideally, each bar would be 2 gallons. However, at the high end, each bar is a fair bit more than 2 gallons; but at the sharp end, enough under 2 gallons per bar that those last 3 bars disappear pretty quick!

Classic Marine
06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
I think the point is that the manual does not tell you enough info on many things these vans have to offer .
Sailquick broke it down well if there are 100 liters in the tank then each bar = 10 liters.
I know we all know the metric system well.
Either way at least I learned that the last bar disappears when 1.4 gallons left.

sailquik
06-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Classic Marine,
If I were to actually plan on using that last 1.4 Gallons/5.29 liters, I would for sure have a container of spare fuel onboard, and the
minute the engine surged, I would pull over and add at least a couple of gallons of fuel.
When running empty the 1.4 gallons (@ 19 mpg normally) would result in a 26.6 mile range.
Towing my cargo trailer the 1.4 gallons (@ 13 mpg normally) would result in a range of 18.2 miles.
Big difference here with the trailer, a heavy load in the Sprinter, or uphill grades/headwinds which have
a very significant affect on fuel mileage.
Probably better to refuel when the light comes on and you have about 1/4 of the tank left.
Roger

Classic Marine
06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Sailquick,
I totally agree... I was just happy to know what was going on with the fuel display.
I dont plan to let it run low but the lightbeing on makes you nervous .
Your info was also very useful ,who would have known that a Mercedes was designed using the metric system.....

Rvliberty
11-14-2013, 08:01 PM
My low fuel light always came on with 6 gallons remaining, until recently. The bulb is good, but I am not getting a low fuel light. Any ideas?:thinking:

mean_in_green
11-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Quick tip: if you have a High Line dash once your remaining range value dips below twenty miles you're unable to clear the low fuel warning message and toggle back to the range value.

By my reckoning you have more than twenty miles though. Thirty to forty according to the pump, but it would pointless to find out.

sailquik
11-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Rvliberty,
Could be an issue with the sensor in the tank, or the light bulb/LED for the low fuel light could be burned out.
Either way, the best way to diagnose this is to visit an authorized MB Sprinter Commercial dealer and have them do a diagnosis with the MB SDS (Star Diagnosis System).
If you have a '02-'06 T1N based RV you might be able to check this with a DAD unit or DRB-III.
Beyond that, I don't think you can use a multi-meter to diagnose unless someone with an identical year
model Sprinter allows you to use their Sprinter to determine what the various wires should read.
Roger