Water under step plate

galvinize

2003 passenger van, 142,000 miles

Two years ago, I posted photos of the extensive rust under the front door step plates. When there is a heavy rain, the weather strips allow water to creep into that space, and the factory drain hole was not at the lowest point of the area, so water accumulated. I have drilled an extra drain hole which helps, but I ask if anyone has found that new strips solve the seepage problem. The existing strips ( original) appear to be in good condition.

Last edited:

EZoilburner

03 2500 158wb HR
This doesn't answer Your question but to prevent further damage I cleaned it all out with a hard wire wheel, clean the metal the best I could then painted with Por15 and then some white paint. Once dried Por15 is very hard to remove.

John484

'06 140 2500 SHC
Galvinize is right, the drain hole is not in the lowest place in the stepwell, a poor design. I guess MB was satisfied if all but a 1/2" of water could drain out, hey good enough. But I wonder where you drilled a new hole galvinize? I drilled one at the lowest part and then I realized that it empties into the box frame( yeah i'm a genius). I sealed it up and just decided to remind myself to park facing uphill when it is raining. Or something.
Nelson thanks for the link. Is he suggesting that the water comes down from the door? I don't understand, can someone explain it?
Thanks
J

galvinize

Nelson has a good idea. The weatherstrip carries water along the steel ridge ( to which it is attached) by capillary action, and it ends up in the step-well. Worse still, the constant dampness between the rubber strip and steel ridge creates an inevitable rust-creating environment. My steel ridge has been sanded and painted several times, but each time, I lose a bit of it, and in a few years, would have to be re-fabricated.

galvinize

Galvinize is right, the drain hole is not in the lowest place in the stepwell, a poor design. I guess MB was satisfied if all but a 1/2" of water could drain out, hey good enough. But I wonder where you drilled a new hole galvinize? I drilled one at the lowest part and then I realized that it empties into the box frame( yeah i'm a genius). I sealed it up and just decided to remind myself to park facing uphill when it is raining. Or something.
Nelson thanks for the link. Is he suggesting that the water comes down from the door? I don't understand, can someone explain it?
Thanks
J
This is a very late response: I have recently determined that the weather strip itself serves as a channel to deliver water to the area under the step plate. Water may enter at any point along the channel-which-clips-to-the-steel ridge, and gravity will deliver to the lowest point (step plate area). Perhaps there has been a breach in seal... will try a new weather strip and see if the problem persists.

fredbail

Good for you, nasty place. I bedded in a thin aluminum plate where the compression was the worst and caused some rust some 4 years ago. This is an area we all should visit, if we intend to keep, or keep up. Some before pictures, but not before- before, and after. Shown is also a mistake I made relative to the step and corner/seat belt thingy. The drivers side is correct.
My advise...spill a beer, check after rain, water comes in regarding one of those little holes on the weatherstrip,.. cause a water "problem"...whatever, ask youself this question.... where does it go? Chase it down to that weep hole. Help it get out. You will understand if you care. Again, I am bad with computers..don't often respond, forgive.

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Sounds like a place I definitely need to visit. How does that step plate liner come up? Does it snap in?
Thanks

gtholden

2005 T1N, 140WB, Low Roof Passenger, ~163K Miles
There are three "plugs" that are 'hidden' in the step (on top as you would step on it). You remove those. I took a small flathead screwdriver, but I damaged the plastic prying them up. Once you pry the plugs out, you will see three torx head screws. I think they are size 30 or 25 torx. Remove those and then the step comes right out. I hope this helps.

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Those plugs are hard to find... Keep looking. Drive a drywall screw in to the center and use it as a handle and they slide right out. The screw leaves a slight hole which just makes it a little easier to find the plug next time.:cheers:

Boater

As I mentioned just a minute ago in the jacking thread, mine failed its MOT (annual inspection in the UK) for excessive corrosion in this area because of the proximity to seat belt anchors. I had to cut out all the rust and rebuild it from new steel sheet.

I don't know if you have similar testing in the US, but it would be worth keeping your eye on, you wouldn't want the seat belt anchor lifting effortlessly out with a patch of rust on the end that one time you need it!

vincelif

The weather stripping on all three doors leaves significant gaps between the bottom of the stepsill and the top of the weather stripping. It doesn't appear to provide the same level of sealing that I'm accustomed to in my other vehicles.

20231027_094533.jpg20231027_094543.jpg20231027_094552.jpg20231027_094558.jpg20231027_094533.jpg20231027_094543.jpg20231027_094552.jpg20231027_094558.jpg Is it just me, or do others have the same issue? What's the solution for this? Oh, and on another note, the driver side pinch weld, where the weather stripping adheres, appears to have worn down. How can I reattach my weather stripping?20231027_094533.jpg20231027_094543.jpg20231027_094552.jpg20231027_094558.jpg20231027_220503.jpg

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Someone has done a bunch of hackjob rust repairs in that area. You need to investigate to determine how bad it is. Its not unusual for the drains under the step to clog, resulting in significant rust in the area.

You need to determine what junk has been added to "repair" that area.

vincelif

You’ve got yourself a rotbox…….
You have to remove the plastic steps to reveal how bad it is.

Search for instructions on how to remove the steps.
It's actually not rotted all that bad I've had those steps out many times it's all painted it's all cleaned up. What happened with the erosion of the metal was the man who owned this before me was a big man and I mean a big man so when he would step into that thing the step would compress and rub that steel this is a big dude

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
You are missing a good chunk of the pinch seam. The step isn't sitting properly in the well, its riding at least 0.5" high. It also looks like someone slathered a bunch of fiberglass or bondo into that area, and didn't do a very good job.

It could be just fine, but I have seen quite a bit of evil hiding under the surface in spots like that.

Cavah

2002 Hymer RV, 2500 chassis
It's actually not rotted all that bad I've had those steps out many times it's all painted it's all cleaned up. What happened with the erosion of the metal was the man who owned this before me was a big man and I mean a big man so when he would step into that thing the step would compress and rub that steel this is a big dude
Oh, Well that’s good news .

yah, he must have been large, usually the plastic would crack also.

maybe build it back up with bonds and sand till you get a good profile to put 5he rubber back on.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It has been a while, but I recall that whole lower section was available as a repair panel at one point. If it was my van, I would cut out that section and weld in a repair panel. But I am a bit more experienced than most.

WB118

The weather stripping on all three doors leaves significant gaps between the bottom of the stepsill and the top of the weather stripping. It doesn't appear to provide the same level of sealing that I'm accustomed to in my other vehicles.

Is it just me, or do others have the same issue? What's the solution for this? Oh, and on another note, the driver side pinch weld, where the weather stripping adheres, appears to have worn down. How can I reattach my weather stripping?View attachment 278410View attachment 278411View attachment 278412View attachment 278413View attachment 278414
After inspecting my van and the seals, here's what I conclude.
First, the plastic step cover is not intended to meet the top of the seal, which is shaped like a bulb in cross-section, and there will be a gap. The step cover has a vertical lip which extends down toward the bottom of the step well and should butt up to the inside of the door seal. If all is proper, the top of the step cover forms a "roof" over the area where the step cover lip slips behind the door seal, the shape of the seal should allow any water to channel away from the step lip while sealing against the lip--if the seal and pinch seam are intact.

From your photos, the damage to the pinch weld seam is the major issue. Clearly, as you stated, the weld has been bent outward and away from the interior of the step well. The result is the seal cannot seat against the plastic step cover lip and there is a significant gap behind the door seal.

The second picture in your post shows what appears to be two silver "blobs" on the pinch weld. Looks like solder or some attempt to repair the seam. Can't really tell. From the cracks in the paint on the sill, the integrity of the sill in certain areas is in question, or they are a result of the pressure put on the sill by the previous owner. To fix your water intrusion issue, it will be necessary to repair the pinch weld so it is straight and true, then buy a new door seal and insure the seal fits snugly against the step cover lip

Top Bottom