PDA

View Full Version : Not starting when hot

sattoearth
06-08-2013, 03:40 PM
We are having an intermittent problem and to me it sounds like a starter issue. 04 2500 w/160k miles. It starts fine cold and when turning off and running inside a store for 5 mins, it won't start.

When turning the key it DOES crank. It cranks 1-2 times and slopes off just like a dead battery would do. It is not the battery. It does the same thing with a new battery.

There are no error lights, electrical problems, or any other anomalies, just the "dead-battery-sounding-crank"

After it cools for a while, starts right up as normal with no issues.

Aqua Puttana
06-08-2013, 04:07 PM
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. 52700

You don't say what year and miles Sprinter.

What you describe may be related to poor connections on the heavy cables/system feeding the starter. There has been some history of common ground problems (above the battery in a T1N) and corroded connections with Sprinters. Some owners recommend adding an additional ground strap from the engine/starter to the frame.

That said, a failing starter can also exhibit similar symptoms.

A search from the blue bar above should reveal some troubleshooting techniques for connection problems. I would check the cables/connections before testing or just replacing the starter.

Just information. Not intended as a diagnosis. vic

surlyoldbill
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Read the thread "hard to start when hot" for a collection of everyone's two cents and lots of information.

The end result was a bad injector, but there were different symptoms (it would crank for a long time, but not start).

autostaretx
06-08-2013, 06:02 PM
slopes off just like a dead battery would do.
Since pretty much the only things that would cause it to "slope off" is/are lack of current *when warmed up* (the wires, that is)
I'd look at the ground straps and battery negative cable's attachment to the engine.

When it's *just* starting to crank, a poor connection (high resistance) spot in the wiring (current path) will be cold.
In a second or two the starter current will have heated it up appreciably (think electric stove-top element), and high temperatures raise resistance (and can further loosen weak mechanical joints).
It could also be worn brushes in the starter motor itself, i think it would be unlikely that it's the contacts inside the solenoid.
Check the solenoid-to-motor short wire, too... sometimes those braided cables mechanically fray and lose enough thin-wire conductors to become too "thin" for the currents involved.

--dick