Van was blowing smoke

spkrshop

On my way home from work today,I noticed that I was leaving a smoke trail behind me. I pulled over and found the smoke coming from the tailpipe. it didnt smell like antifreeze but was white. i shut the truck off for a few minutes and started it back up and ran fine afterwards. The van only has 1600 mile on it. does this van regen ? Anyway it just seemed a little odd.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
On my way home from work today,I noticed that I was leaving a smoke trail behind me. I pulled over and found the smoke coming from the tailpipe. it didnt smell like antifreeze but was white. i shut the truck off for a few minutes and started it back up and ran fine afterwards. The van only has 1600 mile on it. does this van regen ? Anyway it just seemed a little odd.
The van does "regen." I have nearly 4000 miles on my 2007 diesel cargo van. I've never seen smoke from my tail pipe. I've never sensed any of the reported dpf regeneration hallmarks (noise like a lawn mower, bad smell and I forget what else).

White smoke is not always indicative of a blown head gasket, it can also be unburned fuel, if I recall correctly.

If my Sprinter started smoking, I'd take it into a dealership, report what I noticed and have a tech connect a StarScan to it and collect any diagnostic trouble codes, if any.

I also recommend you write down where and when you last fueled the vehicle, the weather (temperature, rain/snow/dry weather etc) and anything else you can think of so if it happens again, you might be able to spot a pattern of conditions that trigger the reaction.

Good luck!

-Jon

Top Bottom