Loud noise, then chugging, smoke, engine got really loud...

SchlockRod

I'm in Crapistan and my wife says she heard a loud noise "like I ran over something" "muffled, but loud"... then the van started chugging, struggling.
'04 Sprinter with about 140k miles on it.
Oil was changed January, maybe 5,000 miles ago. Has been changed every 10k miles since new, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel. Fuel filter done same time. Been doing it every 10k-20k since new.
Last refueling was a week and at least 100 miles prior to this.
Son says oil level was low, but there was oil, below the add mark, after he wiped it off. He added a quart. Followed Mom chugging to dealer at that point, blowing what he described as "gray" smoke... (was black before he added quart of oil), and he said engine sounded "like it usually does, but considerably louder than normal, and as though it were straining". So not ticking or banging but loud engine noise.
Just wondering, looking for clues: I've had fuel leaks around the high-pressure pump in the past... first time dealer replaced hose/clamp, fixed... second time (last winter) they said "need new HP pump"... took to indy shop... replaced two short hoses/clamps right at the pump... fixed, no leaks since.
Also all five injector seals have been replaced recently. 2 or 3 had gone bad so I said change them all out. No failures since, unless this is some of that action again(?)
Any ideas?
Thanks

SchlockRod

Oh... forgot to mention: dropped the converter/muffler asm about 1 1/2 years ago. Had new system (flex, pipes, and bottle resonator) welded up by great custom exhaust shop, which gave it a nice purr, louder than with stock system and more power... but this is now definitely louder still. But I find it hard to believe that system has come apart in any way. It was very solid and nothing to it compared to original monstrosity.

SchlockRod

Oh one more thing:
After buying two turbo hose assemblies at dealer rate, my son and I installed the billet aluminum bottom part (at turbo) to replace the factory plastic one, and the metal part for end of hose at intake manifold, about a year ago. This is the aftermarket stuff, from Riordan (sp?) Industries... I hope you all know what I'm talking about...
Anyway, I'll be really suspicious if turbo hose is any part of the Dodge dealer story...
I just want to be as well in tune as I can when I get their story...
Thanks all.

SchlockRod

NEI (not enough info) dept.:
Sounds like the low oil level light came on during all of this, which is why my son first checked oil. But we've had the false alarm syndrome with this light as have other forum users... although that has almost always been on interstate at speed, and gone away after exiting interstate. This time it was at about 35 or 40 mph. I believe it went away after my son added oil.
Check engine light has also come on I believe. Whether it did or not isn't certain, nor if it stayed on.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It could be anything... from a broken exhaust manifold stud (loud noises, but doesn't explain smoke, unless leakage is confusing the EGR and turbo), through blown piston (cracked or hole burned/punched in the top... possibly due to overheating due to higher back pressure from non-OEM exhaust system (or over-scavanged due to low back pressure), through popped injector or glow plug ...
Cracked piston would allow exhaust gases to pressurize the crankcase, thus pushing oil out through the (let's call it) PCV system into the intake air stream causing very rich (smoky) running.
A Cracked head gasket could explain the "two color" smoke issue.

The list is endless.

--dick

SchlockRod

Thanks Dick
Your van is just like ours but for color.
They all sound bad except "could be anything" ain't necassarily bad.
I've never had the temp gauge move since I put that exhaust on.
Wife updated sound: "low rumbling chug like a big truck"
"even a little louder than usual like muffler loosened up a little"
"no power"
"sputtering when taking off"
"thought it would stall"
"tach wouldn't go past 2-3k but running faster" (I don't understand that... maybe she's mistaken?)

SchlockRod

OK. Van was picked up from dealer today.
Lube/oil/filter, and "reconnected charge air hose loose from sensor housing". That sounds like something I put back together after installing those hose upgrades...?
Anyway, they just called and said "It's fixed. $235.97"
I guess I should be glad it wasn't one of the serious things mentioned here...
But I'm mad that they changed the oil (at dealer rate), when I do it myself and it only had about 5k miles on it.
In their defense, my son (who should know better) told them the oil looks really dirty. They were all over that like a bum on a sandwich since they didn't have a cracked piston or blown turbo to bend me over for.
I told my son a month ago "Don't bring them solutions, even if you know the cause of the problem and the solution. Tell them what the car is doing... only that. It helps you see how honest they are or just keeps them honest or keeps them out of blind alleys and away from red herrings." I also told him at that time that you can't tell if oil needs changing just by the color (which is especially true of Diesels).

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
... so have the symptoms gone away after the van visited the Stealership?
Your post isn't clear that it's running better, only that you have fresh oil and they supposedly re-connected part of the turbo plumbing.

SchlockRod

Right. I should mention that all systems are go now.
Had I been there I probably could have found the popped hose connection from the noise, but... I'm not so wife and son were at mercy of Dodge...
Anyway, I'm thankful, and I'm a sell this thing and get a W126 Diesel (probably a 300SDL) as soon as I get back.
The wife is sick of being "the bus driver lady".
The white paint is total crap, and so is the metal under it. Thing looks like one big case of chickenpox and I'm afraid the rear doors are going to fall off the hinges are so rusted.
Injector seals...
Ball joints...$$$
Rear axle seal failure day before taking three kids 1,000 miles to summer camp, and the dealer repair failed 2 weeks later, day before going back to get them... dealer bought me a 3-day Lincoln Town Car rental on that one, under their 90-day warranty, since I needed a minivan but try getting one same-day on a Friday in July... then they bought me a whole new axle assembly...
All the electronic issues so many have with these late-model M-B products... we've had a few but I'm knockin on wood and I'm a quit while I'm ahead. Had to replace ECM, out of warranty and Dodge was going to charge I think $2500 but I told them it's an emission component and should be covered... they argued but called back and said I was right.
I had a W123 Diesel... man, what a tank that car was! Time for a W126. They really, really don't make them like they used to...

Top Bottom