PDA

View Full Version : MB Star Diagnostics System Options

SoaringBob
05-31-2013, 04:32 AM
As the new owner of a 2011 3500 cargo van with 175,000 miles and an intermittent check engine light and full time Check DEF light on, I'm looking for a do-it-myself solution to 'put the lights out'! The seller told me it was due for a new DPF filter. I've been adding DEF fluid over the past three days, but it is slow to make its way down the filler tube, so may need to be cleaned out. After today, almost 2.5 gallons have gone in the tank, and will check to see if that light remains lit after a few driving cycles.

My smog check guy said to try a forced DPF regeneration cycle before springing for a new filter or professional cleaning. I've read everything I can find on the subject, and it boils down to having a MB dealership run the regen cycle, or purchase a MB SDS scanner, which is out of the question.

I see there are cheap Chinese versions of the MB Star scanner, and that is my main question. On the net, and on eBay there are scanners called MB Star C3 and MB Star C4 which seem to be able to check everything the MB dealership models can. It would be nice to verify these will spit out the actual error codes and run the regen cycle. Can anyone verify these things work? Here is an example: Chinese clone scanner (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2013-Top-Free-Shipping-Professional-MB-Tester-mb-c3-star-mercedes-benz-diagnosis-multiplexer-with-03/720804_895009176.html)

And what is really needed to use one of these? They come with an assortment of cables which look just like the MB SDS cables. I have a laptop, so am wondering if the 9 pin cable with USB adapter is all I need. Software (Xentry) looks to be provided, but can also be purchased on the net separately. Some of the ads mention HDD drives with the package, but won't the drive in my laptop work?

My intermittent check engine light is a mystery. It will go off and remain off until I climb a steep grade, so I suspect it has something to do with the DPF filter. The vehicle was used mostly for local deliveries by a trucking company, and after several hundred miles of highway driving, it may be on the verge of cleaning itself, although I have no idea if the regen cycle has run, and I don't believe I have a way to check that as I don't have the buttoned steering wheel option that seems to provide the stored code reading option.

I do own a ScanGuage II and a Actron CP9180, but they provide little code info. P2BAD is what the Actron spits out.

Thanks for any help on the scanners!

ealltech
09-12-2014, 09:42 AM
The MB STAR (http://www.plusobd.com/professional-car-diagnostic-tool/benz-diagnostic-tool.html) system, when it made its debut, was much more capable because it was PC-based (IBM T30 laptop), but it was also very versatile

because it incorporated a HHT emulation mode (for backward compatibility) along with a "multiplexer" intermediate unit between the PC and the car,

which allowed the connection of a variety of different diagnostic connection cables, depending on which diagnostic system the car in question happened

to use. For the oldest cars (i.e. the C126, early R129 SL models, early W124s and W140s, etc.) a "four-pin" diagnostic cable was provided. For second-

generation cars, such as the E500E, 400E/E420, middle and later R129s, middle and later W140s, the familiar "38-pin" plug is provided. There are also

OBD-2 interface cables for model year 1996 and later cars, as well as a 14-pin cable for European diagnostic systems. All of these cables allow the

combination of the MB STAR with the in-line multiplexer unit to fully interface with any particular car's computers.

jdcaples
09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
The MB STAR (http://www.plusobd.com/professional-car-diagnostic-tool/benz-diagnostic-tool.html) system, when it made its debut, was much more capable because it was PC-based (IBM T30 laptop), but it was also very versatile

because it incorporated a HHT emulation mode (for backward compatibility) along with a "multiplexer" intermediate unit between the PC and the car,

which allowed the connection of a variety of different diagnostic connection cables, depending on which diagnostic system the car in question happened

to use. For the oldest cars (i.e. the C126, early R129 SL models, early W124s and W140s, etc.) a "four-pin" diagnostic cable was provided. For second-

generation cars, such as the E500E, 400E/E420, middle and later R129s, middle and later W140s, the familiar "38-pin" plug is provided. There are also

OBD-2 interface cables for model year 1996 and later cars, as well as a 14-pin cable for European diagnostic systems. All of these cables allow the

combination of the MB STAR with the in-line multiplexer unit to fully interface with any particular car's computers.

Will you please stop it. We don't need to see plagiarized content, cut-n-pasted from

http://www.plusobd.com/professional-car-diagnostic-tool/benz-diagnostic-tool.html

-Jon

sprintguy
09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
With the DEF light on and the check engine lamp coming on and off, it sounds a bit more than an clogged up DPF. Quit wasting time and have it scanned and possibly diagnosed before it goes into a countdown and leaves you stranded because you can't start it. I will let you know that most of the SDS equipment has had so many different patches and adons that it would make your head spin. Unless you have rights and access to these types of updates DON't buy the SDS . Snap On makes a very user friendly Scanner that is half the price and you can update it yourself. Now back to your truck, Get it looked at by a qualified tech...it may take some time to get a diagnosis because nothing on these things are cut and dry, especially when dealing with the DEF system. Diagnostics for these emission systems are tricky and time consuming that is to get it right. Good luck

Carl