PDA

View Full Version : Battery Isolator-will I annoy the Daimler gods?

wayneskid
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
My 2008 Freightliner has a "battery isolating switch" to allow disconnecting power to all loads. The instructions are simple and it seems straightforward enough but given the sensitive nature of the many computer modules on the CAN bus in this rig, I'm hesitant. Can anyone confirm from personal experience that I can use this disconnect and expect everything to come to life normally when I reconnect power? Or, will my worst fears be realized I will be required to return the Sprinter to Dusseldorf for factory intervention? :idunno: The Sprinter has no added accessories or fancy electronics; just the factory Sound 20 head unit.

harrysalit
05-25-2013, 01:55 PM
On my 2008 Dodge everything works like it should after I reconnect the startig battery at the post by the throttle.
Harry
2008 Krystal

jmgasior
05-25-2013, 11:33 PM
This is true on my 2008

Oldfartt
05-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Ensure that the ignition key is out before and after the battery isolator is used.

Cheers

Ross

wayneskid
05-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Ensure that the ignition key is out before and after the battery isolator is used.

Ross, this is what the manual says...
To turn the power OFF:
o Remove key from ignition lock and wait about 20 sec.
o Move red slide down and disconnect the connector from the ground pin.
o Clamp connector under the accelerator pedal so it cannot contact the ground pin.
To turn the power ON:
o Insert key into the ignition lock.
o Press connector onto the ground pin until you feel it engage.

Are you saying this is not correct?

Thanks,
Wayne

Oldfartt
05-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi Wayne,

Yes that procedure is correct. My manual agrees with yours. I missed the re-insertion of the key before reconnection of the ground connector. I have used the connector many times and have not inserted the key first with no ill effects. My only concern is that if the key is in before re-inserting the connector and you momentarily attach and detach the connector while fumbling under the dash, then it is the same as detaching with the key in the ignition ,which may be detrimental to the electronics.
Now that you have highlighted this I would be interested if anyone else has experience using the ground disconnect, one way or the other.

Cheers

Ross

harrysalit
05-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I did not know about the key removal/insertion.
The key has been out when I disconnect or connect. I don't know what effect it has on the radio pre-sets or the dash clock, I never use them but everything else is normal after connecting the post.
Harry
2008 Krystal 2500