2006 transmission whine and slipping

Horizon3500

Hello, I have a 2006 3500 with 265000 miles. I start a drive and within a couple of minutes I hear a whining noise the transmission shifts but when I stop at a traffic light and start moving the transmission slips, I can only accelerate to 30 mph and reach 3500 RPMs, if I pull over the transmission will not shift into reverse or drive, but if I turn the van off and restart I'm able to shift into drive and reverse and the cycle starts all over again. The dealership is telling I need a new transmission, I have read the great info on this forum about cleaning the N1 and N2 speed sensors and hope for the best.

My question is if I do clean the sensors and replace fluid and filter and it fixes the problem, being that I have 265000 miles on the van, should I still have the transmission replaced?

Any experience out there on how long a transmission will last if the cleaning is accomplished and fixes the problem?

Thank you in advance!

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Hello, I have a 2006 3500 with 265000 miles. I start a drive and within a couple of minutes I hear a whining noise the transmission shifts but when I stop at a traffic light and start moving the transmission slips, I can only accelerate to 30 mph and reach 3500 RPMs, if I pull over the transmission will not shift into reverse or drive, but if I turn the van off and restart I'm able to shift into drive and reverse and the cycle starts all over again. The dealership is telling I need a new transmission, I have read the great info on this forum about cleaning the N1 and N2 speed sensors and hope for the best.
The whining, slipping, LHM and eventual loss of drive are not speed sensor related but rather low fluid or a clogged filter. Remove the pan and examine any debris. Depending on what you find you may have some transmission life remaining with fresh fluid and filter.

Doktor A

Horizon3500

Thank you, I will be dropping the pan this afternoon, from your experience, how long have you seen the transmissions last?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
The tranny fluid and filter swap are pretty easy. Don't forget to drain the torque converter too! You will need a trany dipstick. You can find everything you need from Europarts sd. There are write ups here on the forum. Many people (myself included) swap out the white-ish looking round electrical connector when they change the fluid.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Horizon3500

We'll guys I decided to have the transmission replaced, I know, but I have 265000 miles on the van and didnt want to take the gamble on how much longer it would last and I drive the van all over the northeast for work, all it would take is to get stuck on the side of the road on a weekend and I would lose a nice chunk of money from lost revenue, but on the bright side, I have piece of mind and another 265000 mile before I have any issues (hopefully):cheers:

Thank you for your responses!

outputcentral

Be sure to call the sprinter transmission guys that do all the fed ex trucks. Lots cheaper then dealer at 2k! Silverstar transmission. I'm at 325k but will get one from them someday.. hopefully far away :)

Top Bottom