Low voltage at DLC

oregonjarhead

I am trying to get my autoenginuity scanner to communicate with my 2003 sprinter and they asked me to check voltage at the DLC and it was only 2 volts and I require 11.5 minimum so si there any ideas as to why I would have only 2 volts at pins 4 and 16.

I am trying to get my autoenginuity scanner to communicate with my 2003 sprinter and they asked me to check voltage at the DLC and it was only 2 volts and I require 11.5 minimum so si there any ideas as to why I would have only 2 volts at pins 4 and 16.
Maybe just a regular old bad connection? Is your key on? The key needs to be on for communication.

I think there was one thread where someone used a voltage substitute unit that supplied through the DLC aka OBDII connector for battery changing. Turns out the current that was pulled burned some wiring in the connector unit. I don't have any details though.

vic

081aOBDconnector.gif

oregonjarhead

I double checked to make sure I had the ignition on and still no voltage. I am going to try to figure out what fuse is in the circuit unless someone already knows which fuse it is and where it is located.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
any ideas as to why I would have only 2 volts at pins 4 and 16.
Pin #4 is chassis ground, Pin #8 is ign+, and pin #16 is battery+.

You may want to check pin #4 grd continuity to an actual chassis component and be sure you are looking at the correct numbered pin locations.

Doktor A

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The 2003 service manual can be downloaded from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

The OBD socket ("data link connector") is on page 8w-18-5

It speaks of "fuse 6, 7.5 amps in fuse block two" (and also feeds the instrument cluster)
On my own 2005 Sprinter, it's really located in position 3 on block two (side of driver's seat)

However, pin 16 is always alive, independent of the key state (i can wake up my ScanGauge at any time).
Have you checked pin 16 against both pins 4 and the frame? They're both grounds.

Pin 8 is fused by fuse 5 (10 amps) on the steering column fuse block
(and is used by the brake light switch, too)

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom