dpf delete pipe on ebay

Red Eye

Yes, that was me who bought it.

They now will ship to Canada.

When it arrives, I will do a dpf delete, and will post an update back here to let you all know how the "fit" works out.

suzieque

Yes, that was me who bought it.

They now will ship to Canada.

When it arrives, I will do a dpf delete, and will post an update back here to let you all know how the "fit" works out.
are you also getting your sprinter reprogrammed so that ECU no longer looks for a DPF? I've heard of people not bothering to get reprogramming done and it works fine for a while, but eventually they get a check engine light.

Red Eye

When I had my Sprinter on the hoist and examined the DPF to do a delete, I realized the tricky part would be the “ball-socket” connection. These can be purchased, but not the easiest thing to acquire up here where I live, especially when I suspect the sizes are metric.

Although I have the shop with the required metal working machines and tools, to machine a “socket” die on my lathe, and to make an accompanying pipe clamp to fit to my press to form the socket would not be a reasonable ‘trade-off’ of my time to make just one pipe, probably 6 to 8 hours of my time.

For these reasons, I decided to simply purchase a delete pipe.

As I said (post # 5), when the pipe arrives, I will check out the “fit”, take some pictures for you all and provide you my review.

Red Eye

Progress report, not so good, Re: dpf delete pipe on ebay

Briggies' delete pipe has arrived this morning. Pipe arrives (Small).JPG

Clearly the threaded fittings are poor, quite substandard cobby welding done obviously with no protection over the threads when the welding (sic) was done.

I did a leak test with snoop. Snooping fittings (Small).JPG

Here is the result... looking not so good. Not good (Small).JPG

Don't you just hate it when you purchase something to save yourself some time, then have to repair the substandard workmanship?

Arrrgh!!!

[These welding repairs can be tricky, because of contamination (flux and paint)from the original welding attempt].
Hopefully Briggie didn't use a flux weld, or galvanized fittings.

I will keep you posted....

Re: Progress report, not so good, Re: dpf delete pipe on ebay

Briggies' delete pipe has arrived this morning. View attachment 52644

Clearly the threaded fittings are poor, quite substandard cobby welding done obviously with no protection over the threads when the welding (sic) was done.

I did a leak test with snoop. View attachment 52645

Here is the result... looking not so good. View attachment 52646

Don't you just hate it when you purchase something to save yourself some time, then have to repair the substandard workmanship?

Arrrgh!!!

[These welding repairs can be tricky, because of contamination (flux and paint)from the original welding attempt].
Hopefully Briggie didn't use a flux weld, or galvanized fittings.

I will keep you posted....
Spending the money, only to have to reengineer the product stinks.
What tune are you using with the def delete pipe?

Please measure the oem and aftermarket pipe dimensions to see if they are identical.
Lastly, what thread size and pitch are the fitting bungs?

Last edited:

Red Eye

Here is another update for you.

In all fairness to Briggie, that pipe and fitting was tricky to weld properly.

First I ground away most of the contamination in the original weld Grind away old weld.JPG, you can see there was little if any penetration, what we call a "cold weld".

Next, I re-welded it using oxyacetylene. (chosen because of the paint, making tig or mig welding not possible)Weld Properly.JPG

Briggie, the trick I had to use to get more heat into the weld zone for proper penetration was to machine up little heat sinks to protect the threads while welding, and then use a carbonizing flame to keep the thread shape intact.heat sink.JPG

My welding job isn't pretty, but considering the garbage that was there, it will good enough for me.

And most importantly, no leaks now!!!

Northeastsprinter, sorry, I don't have a metric thread gauge, but it looks like they are 14mm, and possibly pipe thread. Will know better once I get the old dpf out of there tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.

Attachments

Red Eye

As promised, here is my progress on this "dpf delete pipe on ebay"

I pulled off the dpf to check out Briggie's pipe for fit on the ball-cone connection.

Immediately, I could tell something was not right. It wouldn't "snug up" together at all, no matter how much I jiggled and pushed.

So I compared the ball-cone angles.

Here is the Mercedes angleMercedes angle.JPG

Here is Briggie's angleBriggie angle.JPG

Clearly, Briggie did not use the right die when he formed out his cone.Briggie misses the mark.JPG

This is precisely why I did not want to build my own pipe, because this die would take me 6 to 8 hours to make, and I couldn't justify the time, when I could purchase one supposedly properly built.

In addition, I measured "out of roundness", which can be seen hereAdditional leakage here..JPG because Briggie neglected to trim down the welding prior to pressing out the ball cone, which resulted in an out of round fitting, and a "gap" where the exhaust can escape.

Initially, I was giving Briggie the benefit of the doubt about the poor welding job. We all make mistakes.

But now, I'm beginning to realize that "I may have been had".

Hopefully relaying my misfortune to you all about this E Bay purchase, will prevent others from wasting their time.

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Quite a few members have used Briggies pipe with no problems, of course you will not read about it in the main forum. If you want an Uber perfect pipe, you have better ask Mercedes Benz to make it for you?

Red Eye

flman, I certainly don't want to offend anyone. I believe you that quite a few members are happy with Briggie' pipe.

And there is no doubt I could have just bolted it on, simply by fabricating a hangar bracket.

However, it just didn't sit right with me to have those leaks there. Would the leaks have caused future problems? I don't know.

As I said initially, I could have made a delete pipe up myself, just didn't want to spend the time to make dies etc... for a "one off" pipe.(re: post May 26)

I found Briggie's pipe to be the correct length and may function for some.

I certainly didn't expect "Mercedes" workmanship, but the pipe to me as shipped was not something I wanted to hang under my Sprinter.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
flman, I certainly don't want to offend anyone. I believe you that quite a few members are happy with Briggie' pipe.

And there is no doubt I could have just bolted it on, simply by fabricating a hangar bracket.

However, it just didn't sit right with me to have those leaks there. Would the leaks have caused future problems? I don't know.

As I said initially, I could have made a delete pipe up myself, just didn't want to spend the time to make dies etc... for a "one off" pipe.(re: post May 26)

I found Briggie's pipe to be the correct length and may function for some.

I certainly didn't expect "Mercedes" workmanship, but the pipe to me as shipped was not something I wanted to hang under my Sprinter.
Fair enough, I guess he could charge a little more money and put more effort into fit and finish, but at this point he is the only option for an off the shelf mod, AFAIK?

Top Bottom