Tire pressure confusion???

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
Yesterday, I received my new 225x70x15 Continental Vanco 2 tires. This is the recommended size on the door jam factory sticker. I'll be installing them on a 2006 118" 2500 Cargo Van. The recommended rear tire pressure on the door jam is 70PSI, but the maximum tire pressure on the tire sidewall is 65PSI. I thought the Vanco 2 was the OEM tire. Am I missing something here? I did a search and read as much as I could about this situation, but I would still like to hear current opinions or suggestions.

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
The tire pressure on the door jam is the maximum needed at full weight IMHO.
the manual gives suggestions for lower weights such as 45 empty, 55 at 750 lbs extra, 65 at 1500#

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Check if the owners manual calls out a D rated (4ply) Tyre, or a E rated 6 (ply) Tyre.

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
I didn't get an owners manual when I bought it. If someone has one for sale, I would be glad to buy it.
Thank you!

FFR5445

You can find some online owners manuals here. I've never seen the suggestions for lower pressures with less load though.

http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

I run my 2006 118wb passenger at 45psi when empty. Maxing it out is just painful but necessary if you need max GVWR.

JL

Last edited:

icarus

Sorry, but why would anyone buy Contis? They are the worst it's I have ever had, on every application. On the Sprinter, the OEMs made it less than 30k.

Icarus

surlyoldbill

I'm running 60/70 right now, my loadchanges daily. The fronts were also at 70, but every damn crack in the asphalt felt like I was hitting a curb so I went down to 60.
Firestone load rating E

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
In doing my research, I could only find three tires in the size and load range recommended. They were Continental Vanco 2, Goodyear G26, and Nokian. After reading every review I could find, I settled on the Vanco 2's. In the past, I have had bad luck with Goodyear tires and warranty issues with my local dealer, so I eliminated them. I couldn't find a local Nokian dealer, so they were out. For me, I went with the Continental's.

Sorry, but why would anyone buy Contis? They are the worst it's I have ever had, on every application. On the Sprinter, the OEMs made it less than 30k.

Icarus

CJPJ

Just to be correct:

Load Range Ply Rating
A 2
B 4
C 6
D 8
E 10
F 12
G 14
H 16
J 18
L 20
M 22
N 24
To clarify so there is no ply confusion.
"E" This letter indicates the load carrying capacity of the tire in terms of its construction. A "E" indicates the tire has a 10-ply load carrying capacity. The tire is not actually built with 10 plies, but contains plies of equivalent strength. This OEM Continental Vanco Tyre: Load Range E ... is built using 6plys.
008.JPG

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Personally, I would avoid 6 ply tire for Sprinter. I have brand new and shop refused to install it even for spare one. Only 10 ply E rated is recommended for at least cargo Sprinter like mine.

Last edited:

CJPJ

I can't bad mouth these OEM Continental's. I Replaced the two @ the Front when they had 43thousand miles on them and I suspect that these Rears will go to 55thousand. I have'nt had a puncture so they are a pretty tough Tyre!007.JPG

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
It is not about tread wear, it is about tire resistance to side impacts, heat resistance etc.

sailquik

skill3,
In the Continental tire range the normal tire for the Sprinter T1N with 15" wheels is the Conti Vanco Four Seasons 195/70R15C (at least for the 3500's).
Perhaps the Vanco 2's do not come in that size with a "C" rating (The "C" is for Commercial in Europe where the Continentals are made.)
If you need a 225/75R15 for sure, there may not be too many more options.
If you changed to the 16" wheels, you could get a 225/75R16 with the correct rating in a Michelin LTX MS2....IMHO the BEST tires for Sprinters of all vintages.
Roger

surlyoldbill

55k isn't very good for tires on a Sprinter. I replaced the OEM Michelins at about 60k (bald), and replaced them with Toyo HT, which lasted nearly 100k. Others have reported well over 100k per set of tires, these are the expediters who drive 99.9% highway miles with few stops and starts.
Driving style and tire compound quality are the main factors of tire wear. I suspect that having my Toyo's siped increased their lifespan.
I'm running Firestone now because they were free. I'll buy Toyo's again when the time comes.

Wearing faster in the center=too high tire pressure
Wearing faster on the edge=too low tire pressure
Wearing on one edge=alignment, tie rod, ball joint, shock/strut problems

glas1700

Yesterday, I received my new 225x70x15 Continental Vanco 2 tires. This is the recommended size on the door jam factory sticker. I'll be installing them on a 2006 118" 2500 Cargo Van. The recommended rear tire pressure on the door jam is 70PSI, but the maximum tire pressure on the tire sidewall is 65PSI. I thought the Vanco 2 was the OEM tire. Am I missing something here? I did a search and read as much as I could about this situation, but I would still like to hear current opinions or suggestions.
The tire pressure shown on the sidewall isn't the maximum inflation pressure as it is on a passenger car tire. It's the minimum cold inflation pressure required to carry the maximum tire load. If you plan to carry the full rated tire load regularly, you can increase the pressure up to 75 PSI to allow for some pressure loss over time as long as you don't exceed the maximum wheel pressure rating.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I got 85,000 miles out of the Goodyear Cargo fronts and 105,000 miles on the rears - they wore nicely I thought.

A.Hayes

In doing my research, I could only find three tires in the size and load range recommended. They were Continental Vanco 2, Goodyear G26, and Nokian. After reading every review I could find, I settled on the Vanco 2's. In the past, I have had bad luck with Goodyear tires and warranty issues with my local dealer, so I eliminated them. I couldn't find a local Nokian dealer, so they were out. For me, I went with the Continental's.
This is correct... Not many options state-side in the stock 225/70/R15C size/rating for the 2500 Sprinters with the 15" wheels (all years of 118s and early '02 140s and maybe 158s). Evidently this is a more common size elsewhere in the world.
3500s are also a different size.

I have Nokians up front and the Goodyears in the back- fronts and rears were unevenly worn when I got the van and I've been leap-frogging ever since. Rotating evenly now to start with a fresh 4 next go round. Anyway, both have been fine tires for me.

To your original question, my van is usually pretty lightly loaded, so I run 50 in the front and 55 in the rear. It makes for a comfortable ride, and I can still get up near the magic 30mpg hwy when putting along in the slow lane (if I take my top racks off...).

david_42

I'm a bit puzzled. The OEM tire for your model was in fact a Load Range D, with a maximum pressure of 65 psi. There's no way that tire could have accommodated the rated load for the van.

That said, my 2004/140 has 16" tires and I generally run them at 55 front and back. I only boost to 80 when carrying a major load, like landscaping blocks.

lightwave

The Goodyear cargo from germany were the original OEM tires. No longer available. They were great tires. Now the oem is made in France not the same tire and more $$$. I went with the continentals (not 4 seasons) Pretty good so far 20,000 miles. Just a little bouncy till worn down a bit. Light loads on my 118 run best with 60psi all around

Top Bottom