PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge suck on empty

Postcanyon
05-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Hi All, I have seen a few older posts about this issue but never notes on final resolution. I have a 2008 with 45K miles. Ran gas tank down almost the empty, all seemed normal. Filled up with diesel and the fuel gauge did not move, the low fuel warning light is still on and the miles to empty has not changed. Key was out of the ignition during fueling which I understand has been the source of some issues for others who fueled with the key in and/or turned on. I have run the tank this low before without issue. Any advice to this noobie that would prevent a trip to the dealer would be most appreciates!

Postcanyon
05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Oops, that was supposed to be stuck, not suck...although this situation does suck.

showkey
05-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Might sound a little crazy............drive down a bumpy road fast and see if the sending unit in the tank will get unstuck (unsuck).:smilewink:...............one possible cause is the sending unit float arm is hung up.

Dropping to the tank would be one of the next steps.

Postcanyon
05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Update: gauge had been holing at about 1/16 and 35 miles to empty for about 100 miles and now shows truly empty and 0 miles after second fill up?? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!

Dingo
05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
On the bottom of the tank aroundabout the middle is a disc shape , that si where the sender /lift pump / fuel pipe assy sits . Thump the disc shape with a rubber mallet , it sounds like the sender has dropped too low & stuck . The thumping should free it off & make it work again

Postcanyon
05-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Thanks for idea, but tried thumping bottom of tank with rubber mallet as suggested but no change to gauge...

wmlog
05-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Have you put fuel in it since it went to empty? Maybe if you put fuel in the tank the reading would change ...

:thinking:

:bounce:

:idunno:

:cheers:

brassarl
05-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Here is what your looking at... you'll need to get down to a few gallons. The tank is easier to handle. Do a search on tank removal, several threads on here. I just had to change my gasket and ring item 1 & 2. $30 parts, $600 labor.

showkey
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
The above is assuming the sending unit is the problem.........it most likely is and or most common cause of your problem........but it still could be the wiring, poor connection at one of the connectors or the dash gauge unit. The sending could be just stuck/jammed or the sending unit could be bad.

There are simple tests to confirm.

dodger413
05-21-2013, 01:47 PM
FWIW, and certainly of no use.........

my 08 was on empty, no bars, blinking, gas pump icon blinking. stopped, put 1/2 tank in. drove away and everything stayed blinking like before the adding of fuel. went about errand i was on, but gauge reading kept aggravating me. stopped on way back, filled tank, and gauge read correctly and has worked fine ever since.

hope you find an easy solution. good luck

showkey
05-22-2013, 01:53 AM
FWIW, and certainly of no use.........

my 08 was on empty, no bars, blinking, gas pump icon blinking. stopped, put 1/2 tank in. drove away and everything stayed blinking like before the adding of fuel. went about errand i was on, but gauge reading kept aggravating me. stopped on way back, filled tank, and gauge read correctly and has worked fine ever since.

hope you find an easy solution. good luck

Your experience gives real merit to the stuck or jammed fuel sending arm:thumbup::thumbup:

Postcanyon
05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Update: not sure if it was thumping on the bottom of the tank or what, but upon fill up yesterday gauge back to normal! Thanks everyone