Experiences with 3.5L Gas Engine

Coffee Annan

Does anybody have any experiences with a 2007 or 2008 Sprinter with a 3.5L gas engine? Most of what I hear is to expect considerably poorer gas mileage, a little less power and probably shorter lifespan to the diesel engine, but none of that has come from direct experience. I'd love to see if any one owns this vehicle, knows an owner, or has serviced these vehicles and what their experience with mileage and maintenance has been like. Would be great to hear about 144" regular roof, but thoughts and experiences with any year or model with a gas engine would be appreciated.

Coffee Annan

Somehow I missed this thread in my original searches. It contains some good information about real world mpg with the gas engine:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4033

The reports and estimates I'm seeing here are more in line with what I would have expected of a gas engine, (12-19 estimated, 15.2 stated, 16.5 with 1500 pounds, 13-14 city, 14.5 city/hwy). I called a dealership to talk to one of the services guys, and he seemed to think that better mileage wasn't out of the question, even up to 22mpg or so. It's just less consistent. So so far I'm thinking probably 22 is the top of the range (although no one in the thread reported anything close to that), but city driving or hauling will lower that drastically. Or is the 22mpg just BS? The thread is from 2008, so it'd still be great to hear if anyone has anything further to add.

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

...Or is the 22mpg just BS? ...
I have no experience with the gasoline engine Sprinters. I will say this. In a given vehicle, small sized diesel engines get generally better mileage than gasoline engines do. (We're not comparing to 6 liter diesels.) Going by postings here many NCV3 diesel Sprinters don't get 22 mpg. I think that 22 mpg with a gasoline powered Sprinter will be hard to achieve. Gas engines take more of a hit on mpg city vs highway than do diesels.

Word has been that the gasoline powered Sprinters don't have as high resale value as the diesel. If you get the gas Sprinter for good price then mpg may not be as much a factor as to the value of the deal overall.

Good luck. vic

wmlog

If it's a gas engine, then it is a 2007 model. MB leaned their lesson, just a little late. No one wanted the gas engine - it even requires premium gas!

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
3.5L Gas Engine, why?

Does anybody have any experiences with a 2007 or 2008 Sprinter with a 3.5L gas engine? Would be great to hear about 144" regular roof, but thoughts and experiences with any year or model with a gas engine would be appreciated.
CA,
I had a loaner 2007 low roof 144 PV for a week with a gas motor.
It ran fine but guzzled premium, 10-12 city and 16-17 max on the hi way.
Boulder CO @ +-5k (?) feet would give you less mileage with the non turbo gas 3.5.
I have no idea about maintenance or longevity but a low mileage, documented well maintained gift could be persuasive.
I do think the diesel is a better package, I drive mine firmly, 20mpg average and I live in Los Angeles. Also, I would not own a Mercedes without a warranty, use the search bar.

Compstall

One of our vans is a gas '07 model. It gets 12.5 mpg. Wear and tear on the rest of the van is no different than the diesels. Sucks to have to put 91 octane in it. I thought the gas version would be a dog compared to the diesel but it does just fine in the power dept.

mexx

Other than the sprinter what other Mercedes car uses the 3.5 litre v6 gas engine. Thanks

lindenengineering

Does anybody have any experiences with a 2007 or 2008 Sprinter with a 3.5L gas engine? Most of what I hear is to expect considerably poorer gas mileage, a little less power and probably shorter lifespan to the diesel engine, but none of that has come from direct experience. I'd love to see if any one owns this vehicle, knows an owner, or has serviced these vehicles and what their experience with mileage and maintenance has been like. Would be great to hear about 144" regular roof, but thoughts and experiences with any year or model with a gas engine would be appreciated.
Over the years we have regularly serviced several for customers and replaced two engines, one a take out, the other a factory reman unit.
Back in 2007 & 2008 we concluded that the gasoline Sprinter was far superior in reliability than its CD14 diesel engine variant.
Being far more nimble , in fact really different in performance and at the time we liked it .
In short far less quirks than the diesel van for sure,
Dennis

vstech

3.5L Gas Engine, why?

CA,
I had a loaner 2007 low roof 144 PV for a week with a gas motor.
It ran fine but guzzled premium, 10-12 city and 16-17 max on the hi way.
Boulder CO @ +-5k (?) feet would give you less mileage with the non turbo gas 3.5.
I have no idea about maintenance or longevity but a low mileage, documented well maintained gift could be persuasive.
I do think the diesel is a better package, I drive mine firmly, 20mpg average and I live in Los Angeles. Also, I would not own a Mercedes without a warranty, use the search bar.
Heh… 4 days after registering my 2011, I got notified my vehicle’s extended warranty is expiring, and I should contact this company asap to continue coverage…

OldAmbulance

Heh… 4 days after registering my 2011, I got notified my vehicle’s extended warranty is expiring, and I should contact this company asap to continue coverage…
Yeah you better get on that. You do not want that extended warranty to expire... ever!

Top Bottom