Knock noise from rack and pinon steering

shanemac

I have notice a knock/thump noise from the steering wheel at very infrequent times over the last year or so...but the last few months i have been hearing it much more mainly at slower speeds. I think the noise is coming from the steering rack...if i recall others had the same problem and a new rack fixed it? for the life of me i cannot get the video imbedded into the post.

http://youtu.be/UvWzSdJ7TIY

My noise was coming from the sway bar bushings, easy to check. Just lift a corner and wiggle the sway bar in it's bushing and look for play. You may need to separate the linkage first so you can be sure it's nice and free as you check.

I unfortunately replaced my steering rack because my mechanic messed with the adjustment wheel on the front of it.

mwills

my 2007 makes the exact same noise. pretty sure i have it isolated down to the driver's side tie-rod as by feel that seems to be the source of the knock. parts should be here soon to replace.

mwills

today i took off both tie-rod ends and turned the wheel side-to-side and still get the knock. almost certain it is coming from the 'rack/pinion' now:frown:

Mine knocked up until I changed the sway bar bushings, check them by lifting up and down with the end sway bar linkage offf. Or remove the sway bar brackets and check the bar for wear.

Top Bottom