Turbo Actuator Problems

kevintw

I have a 2007 3.0 engine. In Washington State.

The turbo has been replaced with a re-manufactured one before someone told me to never, ever, ever use a re-man turbo.

The engine seems to be struggling with too much pressure. When you go up hill, it's got plenty of boost but seems to be fluctuating audibly (as if you're pumping the accelerator every second) but the RPM display remains constant.

It's getting codes:
P006C - Unknown
P0473 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor (High)
P242f - Particulate Filter (just replaced, fyi)
P0299 - Turbo related

SO, I'm guessing the actuator in the re-man turbo just doesn't work. And the guys who replaced the DPF said that's fairly common since you can't replace JUST the actuator on a turbo that this Sprinter uses.

My question is: Is there a way to visually see if the actuator is working. I found video on youtube of a 2005 (different engine) and you can see the actuator moving when acceleration occurs. Can I do the same with this turbo or is there a test to determine if the actuator is the problem before I go dropping another 5 grand into this thing only to have the same issues?

Thanks for your time. I'm going outside to stare at the engine and hope the car fairies magically...

Kevin:idunno:

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Something like a ScanGuage II or UltraGauge EM set up to monitor the PSI Boost, Map PSI, Engine %LOD and the air intake temp would be useful to tell you how the Turbo is actually operating (these plug into the ODBII Port). You could plug into a Sprinter that is working right and compare the same route to what your Sprinter is doing.

There are many reasons why the Turbo actuator may be behaving incorrectly (and it's likely caused by something other than the Turbo or the actuator). You could have leaky hoses, Intercooler Leaks, bad sensors or bad connections.

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
The P0299 is normally because of a plumbing leak or not enough pressure from the turbo which could be the actuator.

kevintw

To supply more information, all the hoses have been replaced and checked for leaks (one of them had a leak) so it's unlikely a hose issue.

There is a significant amount of oil being burned as well. Could a malfunctioning actuator be causing excess oil use?

And is the actuator in action visible? Can I run the engine and actually visually see if it's opening and closing?

Thanks,
Kevin

sailquik

Kevin,
What diagnostic unit was used to develop your codes listed above?
The suggestion to try a Scan Gauge II (< $190) or similar is not a bad idea.
If you had such a gauge system you would be able to see very easily what your turbocharger and actuator are
doing in real time...at all times.
Don't think the actuator would be very likely to cause excessive oil consumption.
What makes you think the turbo/actuator is burning too much oil....do you have white or gray exhaust smoke?
Do you have black exhaust smoke, indicative of not enough boost for the current fueling level.
Have you considered taking it to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer/shop and getting all the real answers from the
MB SDS (Star Diagnostic System).
That's the fastest and perhaps least expensive way to analyze a Sprinter.
You do not have to let them fix it, just get the full diagnosis from a system that was designed to test and manipulate ALL the
systems in your Sprinter.
Roger

kevintw

Roger,

That's probably my next step, to go to the dealer. The system that did the analysis was at an OReilly's Auto Parts.

I've spent several months having so many parts replaced and each mechanic blames the last. However, last time I went to the dealership they flashed my computer and that was the start of all the problems. They also ended up setting my clock to the year 2050 which created several other error codes nobody had ever seen (posted that earlier today).

There's no black smoke. But it's going through quarts of oil much more quickly than it should. My suspicion is that there's a leak elsewhere and the oil has caused the turbo, DPF, etc to fail but nobody's been able to spot the leak.

I'll update the post as soon as I seem to have some sort of definitive answer.

Kevin:yell:

sailquik

Kevin,
If the ECM re flash was done at an authorized MB Sprinter Dealer/shop, and it was the result of a service bulletin, I'd be contacting MB Compliance engineering/customer service.
How many miles on your Sprinter.... is it still within the emissions warranty?
That should be 85k-100K per the EPA regulations and it does include both the ECM and the turbocharger/actuator.
If it was re flashed at a Dodge or Freightliner Dealer, I'd contact MBSprinter USA Customer service right away.

1-800-FOR-MERCEDES (1-800-367-6372)
Press 1 for Roadside Assistance
1 If you require remote door unlock 24 hours a day
1 If your vehicle is disabled and requires Roadside Assistance 24 hours a day
3 Vehicle Features non Emergency Roadside
Roger

Last edited:

manwithgun

Unknown member
Hello Kevin. I'm quite new to the Sprinter Odyssey so I'm not speaking from any point of certainty. Have a look at the thread that i started last week and particularly to issue #1 and the update in the following post.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26451

It provides a link to another oil consumption thread which outlines two possible culprits. If you were to consider the turbo to be properly rebuilt then the oil separator might be worth looking into. Mine had a 1" tear in the diaphragm and although my vehicle is currently in a deeper state of disassembly, my brief test drive after replacing the separator/bleeder valve showed a marked improvement in turbo performance and may have solved my oil vanishing problem. Again, I've been holding out on my final report until after I clear out my swirl ports and such and am able to clock some substantial miles... The part costs between $60-100 and takes about 20 minutes to check or replace if you're mechanically inclined. I'm not suggesting random parts replacement, just an offer to walk you through the steps if yer game.

How much oil are you burning anyhow?

Top Bottom