PDA

View Full Version : TPMS Caps

gottahavabenz
05-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey all,

Just thought I would share my fun experience yesterday when changing my tires. Started by taking the cap off the valve stem. The dealer I bought it off used steel caps, which had melded to the aluminum stems and proceeded to break the threads off when I tried to unscrew it revealing the schrader valve. I then went to each valve stem and sprayed it with PB Blast to loosen them which worked, but the metal caps did some damage to each as I slowly worked them off. So as a heads up to you if you live in a salt area (new england) make sure you are using plastic caps. Sensors are expensive.

Cvollmar
05-10-2013, 06:10 PM
I have 27 of them, had the same issue, changed about 100 of them at 20.00 each. Not to mention several of the sensors. Needless to say lesson learned.

Linux
05-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I've heard placing a small amount of white lithium grease on the threads is a great way to prevent the melding/corrosion.

wmlog
05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Use the OEM plastic caps - plastic does not corrode! Dissimilar metals will corrode when in contact with each other, especially in a salt environment.

mean_in_green
05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
All this talk makes me glad I didn't specify TPMS. My pressure gauge works more reliably...!

gottahavabenz
05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
I put this thread together as a warning, I never noticed that they were little chrome caps and probably wouldn't have thought anything of it if I had noticed. So just as a heads up to all in salty areas or those who drive through salty winter roads make sure those caps are plastic.