PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Motor Bench Test/Wiring/Voltage/Pin Config.?

manwithgun
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
2007 Dodge 2500. Is there any information regarding a manual test of the swirl actuator motor? I know that my swirl valves are stuck open but I was hoping that I could test the motor while in hand rather than discovering it's fubar after reinstallation. It's got a numbered 4-pin connector (#1-4) where between #2 and #3 reads 1.4k ohms while #1 and #4 appear open. I'm assuming that it is a simple dc motor where dc voltage actuates with spring return? Can anyone concur, suggest an input voltage, or sink my logic? Also, should the lever arm be able to rotate 90 degrees by hand, against the spring and then wind back to home position when released? Last control check, there is a loose plastic clunk beneath the raised button on the center of the top cover when shaken, is this normal? Your time and past sufferings are truly appreciated, Cheers! - Jim

showkey
05-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Would think it would be a 5 volt system. If you had a known good Sprinter you could monitor the wiring (voltage) during running to verify.

:hmmm:I would also guess two of those wires would or could be position sensor and two would be power. The computer needs to know open from closed, stuck/moving and rev voltage would rev position.................again a total guess

manwithgun
05-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Would think it would be a 5 volt system. If you had a known good Sprinter you could monitor the wiring (voltage) during running to verify.

:hmmm:I would also guess two of those wires would or could be position sensor and two would be power. The computer needs to know open from closed, stuck/moving and rev voltage would rev position.................again a total guess

I did check for a closure or resistance change @ #1 and #4 in various combos but found none. I do know that the actual swirl valve actuators have proximity sensors built into the linkages that i'm assuming is used to confirm actual position.

And 5v sounds good to me. Folks, keep em coming. I'm only a month into the Sprinter learning curve. Got a long way to go and short funds to get there... :thumbup:

sprintguy
05-09-2013, 10:33 PM
If your replacing the intakes for the stuck ports, then you will be happy to know that the right side intake has a new actuator mounted to it. If not then : Pin #2 is the 87 circuit (12 volt switched) pin #1 is the ground (z6/113). pin #3 is the signal line to CDI (motor steps) .

Carl

manwithgun
05-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Thank You for the reply, Carl. I was hoping to save myself the $600 of replacing the intake/actuator by cleaning the build-up out of the clogged passages and then re-using. Plus, it's my drivers-side (left?) intake that is terminal... So it goes.

And pardon my lack of automotive electronics knowledge but I don't understand what a CDI is regarding this (stepper?) motor. Is pin #3 an input signal that determines position (steps) or an output to confirm position. Applying +12V to #2 just makes it twitch once. Does this tell me anything or is it a much more complicated process to bench test? Guess I could just plug it in and rev the engine...

showkey
05-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Guesses were wrong.........Carl has the correct info.

manwithgun
05-10-2013, 04:24 AM
So to bring a bit of closure to this thread, the swirl actuator motor has a 4-pin connector with only 1,2,3 being used(3-wire). Unable to bench test.

Pin #1 = z6/113 /Ground
Pin #2 = 87 /+12V switched
Pin #3 = /signal?

Disconnected in hand,lever arm rotates with little resistance against spring tension and returns to home position when released.

When plugged in but free from linkages I could see it modulating with engine running. Unplugging the EGR valve drops out both the swirl and turbo actuators. Plugging it back in activates both actuators. Plugged in, engine off, ignition on, actuator holds position and resists manual(hand) rotation. I'm going to assume that the swirl motor is OK...

If this is useless or misleading information, please let me know and I can either edit or delete accordingly.

SprinterHelp
03-05-2016, 12:26 AM
In same boat but sinking, I will test to see if I can get motor to twitch. Assuming no one replied to your final logic post I will test in hand. This post should bring much interest.

smiller
03-05-2016, 01:12 AM
There are PIDs to indicate when the swirl valves (right and left) are at their full-open stops (which is probably how the ECU knows if they are stuck or free.) Since these signals don't seem to be on the 4-pin connector then how does the ECU get this information?

http://webpages.charter.net/smiller/pix/ekas1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/smiller/pix/ekas2.jpg

lindenengineering
03-05-2016, 04:25 AM
There is a proximity sensor on the linkage and the manifold(runners).

Dennis

b1xcra35
03-23-2016, 03:09 AM
"Is pin #3 an input signal that determines position (steps) or an output to confirm position." This question has not really been answered yet...

MacAlan

SprinterHelp
03-23-2016, 03:22 AM
I will come to you and change out your actuator. I am in Chicago area just over the Cheddar Curtain.
550 plus hotel. Labor only, make sure your runners are working beforehand.

Est change time 3 hrs max
cussing :yell: and crying :cry: free...