2014 Sprinter Press Release

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
Many changes to the 2014 Sprinter according to the official press release. These should be rolling off the line and available to upfitters around September. Which means that LTV will have to work through their existing inventory and probably won't be using the new model until December deliveries.

The most significant changes from a cosmetic perspective is the new front grill. Only the "star" will be chrome with a blacked out redesigned grill and the lower section under the grill also being a darker grey/black plastic. I wonder how this will blend in with the paint schemes, or if LTV will be painting the underside to match? New tail lights too, but those are never used by LTV anyway.

Many significant safety feature changes that are too numerous to explain. Best if you just click on the link to the Press Release: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/06/mercedes-benz-releases-us-spec-2014-sprinter-details/ What do you think.... Do you like or dislike the new front end? I personally prefer the 2012/2013 for the LTV application.

I've also provided a link to a brief 2 minute video....
http://youtu.be/5tDk7-YdYhw

Eastbayview

2012 Unity MB
For me I like the chrome grill and lower section on my 2012. The whole blacked out look is popular theses days but gets a bit much at times.
As with everything there will be many opinions.

Analartist

I like the new front end, but I am not really interested in cosmetic changes ...... They will not help Mercedes with market share in North America. WE WANT A 4X4 !

lindenengineering

This will be my next 'Sprinter' van...

Made in the USA and probably won't rust away like my 2010 Freightliner/MB sprinter

but opinions vary...

Many Blessings
Be careful about Made in the USA!
Ford Motor Company is a global player.
The van you buy could conceivably be made up of parts/major component from multiple international sources.
Even CKD/PKD overseas before being shoved down a US assembly plant to get a Fed Compliance sticker on the door.

Ford Power Systems by the way are the basis of the Landrover LR3 and the Evoque platform engines. The latter is a stout output performer of about 245 HP from a 4 banger gasoline engine.

Still the opportunity to offer alternative fuel options like LNG certainly is a sign of progressive future good thinking for a commercial vehicle. Like Fed Ex?UPS? and the other big logistics players who run large fleets as big fleet buyers.
Dennis

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
Could we stay on topic here? I don't see th word "rust" or "Ford" in the title.

Do you like :thumbup: the 2014 Sprinter or not:thumbdown:. Thanks for playing.

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
This is gonna be Sprinters worst nightmare, if the Ford gets over 25 MPG, Sprinter as we know it may seice to exist:smilewink:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Right down to the integrated turn indicators in the side view mirrors. FORD = Follow Others Research Department

lindenengineering

Could we stay on topic here? I don't see th word "rust" or "Ford" in the title.

Do you like :thumbup: the 2014 Sprinter or not:thumbdown:. Thanks for playing.
I thought I was on topic---Rust!
But in answer to your question --in short yes I do!

It follows current MB styling on all their platforms not just the Sprinter. Look closely and it has a C/ E class esk to it. The frontal shape has a some aerodynamic features to it without being or looking too progressive, very synonymous with MB's very conservative posture.

I see nothing yet of crash survivability comment in these forums.
MB has a very enviable crash collision occupant survivability rating. Its what makes them stand above many of its competitors. The last Benz I looked at had been crushed between two semis, the occupants walked away and you could open all the doors.
So yes I like them --for all sorts of reasons!:thumbup:
Dennis

72chevy4x4

I'm not as interested in Ford as I am the new 3.2 engine-possible 250hp/400ftlb torque-a great candidate for transplanting into a jeep/suburban :)

sprintertom

'10 2500 HiTop 144 Cargo
This is gonna be Sprinters worst nightmare, if the Ford gets over 25 MPG, Sprinter as we know it may seice to exist:smilewink:
WHAT!!!!! :thinking:

Your Sprinter gets 25mpg? My '10 Sprinter gets worse MPG than my '04 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke extended van with double the cubic inch.... 3.0 vs the 6.0 go figure... I'm not happy with anything Sprinter... has no power... has a speed limiter... and costs a fortune to maintain, which has to go back to the shop as my check engine light came on last night driving home... put a code reader on it and says it "lost communication with the glow plug module" at least its not a critical failure... like when I was 200 miles from home driving in 'limp mode' on the interstate and took the dealer 2 weeks to get it working again... thankfully it was under warranty.
We went with Sprinter's cause we bought one for a one of our guys in SC, I believe it was a '06-08? had the I-5 engine and he was getting up to 25+ MPG compared to the Ford 6.0 16-17MPG... well the dealer didn't bother telling us that with all the emission crap on the new 3.0 engines that the MPG would be 16-17MPG. So now we have a fleet of these diesel guzlin' sprinters.

Ohhhh to the OP... I do like the way the new Sprinter's look... sorta like the new Ford Transit :rad:

I love the headroom of these type of vans and prefer these over the new Nissan... but MB failed the US market with their dash layout... cup holders where I need to reach with my body instead of my arm to grab my coffee... check the new Ford Transit dash!
http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/gallery/photos/

sprintertom

'10 2500 HiTop 144 Cargo
Portland... glad to see its all good :thumbup:

I just re-read the MB Sprinter Release and can't believe they are offering a 2.1 L diesel engine for this vehicle :thinking: I couldn't amagine anything smaller then the 3.0 but I guess that is to get the MPG back up to the I-5 engines...
and if you look at the video @ 50 seconds... I see they already have the dreaded lightbulb failure from jumpstreet! Unless the European model only lights one flood/fog light?
I've replaced more bulbs in this van than any other vehicle I've ever owned... but i do have it programmed for 'lights on all the time' ... just to be fair they have the same life rate of my hologen motorcycle bulbs.
When I programmed the van for lights on all the time... I didn't realize ALL the lights would be on... I'd prefer just running lights (headlights) not taillights too.
My biggest gripe with lights are the way the license plate bulbs are installed... what a PITA to replace! ... I guess you can see I have a love/hate relationship with the 'dash light out' display on my speedo ... love the idea... hate when it comes on because my license plate lamp wiggled loose when I shut the rear door. :cheers::cheers:

mofo989

I think the article's point about the 4cyl/7-speed is right, that it will be for fleet vehicles where business operators are particularly happy with their employees driving the speed limit instead of 75+mph. For the personal owner/RV the v6 still makes sense.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I don't have an actual number but from pictures it seems as 2014 has reduced road clearance so I searched and indeed:

"The next change is the ground clearance, the car got a little lower, though not without advantages, increased stability of the vehicle, and reduced fuel consumption. So the loading and unloading of the vehicle became easier." http://www.mainpump.com/news/bustruck/5855.htm

This could be problematic for some commercial conversions which already have low clearance.

George.

Top Bottom