PDA

View Full Version : 10 seconds to 30km/h

steve604
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a 2010 3.0 bluetech that gives me some problems when hot. When the engine is hot and the outside temp is above 25 celsius the van will not accelerate from a stop. It will very slowly climb to about 30 km/h and then take off like there is nothing wrong. The CEL came on yesterday after doing this for a while but was off this morning. I drove about 40km highway this morning and parked for about 1/2 hour. When I started it up and drove away it took about 10 seconds to get to 30 km/h. It has been ok for the rest of the day today but it also hasnt been very hot. When it does act up it will sometimes get slightly jerky as it's trying to accelerate.

This first started about 3 weeks ago and the dealer replaced the EGR under warranty and it was ok until yesterday when it got hot outside again.

The dealership I deal with is difficult to deal with and considers my work van as a low priority pain in the ass. I'm a troubleshooter by nature and I'd like some more information on what might be going on.

lindenengineering
05-08-2013, 03:18 AM
Steve
This is a tough one to pin point over the forum.
Basically the vehicle need a good scanner on it not only to read codes but give out live data.

Essentially it means that someone who knows what's going on can look at the engine activity and determine what is the actual values/fault.
It might not be anything to do with IT stuff but something basically mechanical, which we call "base lining" in this MV repair business. This can be often overlooked in the rush to grab a scanner! OMG!
However that stated;

You can't look at the engine in isolation since the transmission talks to the PCM and "Vicky Verky". Including the shifter by the way!

So you might conceivably have a transmission issue not an engine fault.
Again by switching to either system with a suitable tool it is fairly easy to focus on what is causing the problem. Frankly its not a time to go guessing, that can be costly and frustrating.

If you are unhappy with the service you are getting either talk to the General Manager of the shop you are using --or try another service provider. Remember dealers and such like are only as good as the folk that work within them. (One of my favorite sayings when I was a zone rep!)
Off topic a bit was that I used to do warranty and repair quality audits once upon a time , I used to love to watch 'em squirm!:laughing:

In fact as a coincidence I have a 2005 Tinny coming in on Friday with a similar problem.
It hauls coffee, but no amount of caffeine will get this beast to get up and go through the gears . Once its stuck in top gear it is reluctant to get down to a lower gear and go! At least that's what the driver says!
I might report findings later if relevant.
Sorry I can't be of more help
Cheers Dennis

steve604
05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
The dealer I go to is the closest one and most likely the easiest one to deal with.

I took it there for a pre-arranged appointment this morning and they said they wouldn't be able to look at it until late in the day so I should leave it with them for the day. I complained so they brought it in right away.

They said that it's putting out regen codes and will need to drive it for a couple of hours to see what it's doing. I'm bringing it back on Monday to leave it with them for the day to see what they come up with.

steve604
10-08-2013, 07:35 AM
i just realized that i forgot to update this

after egr valve replacement the tech didn't install the turbo inlet pipe properly. it was pulling too much air pre-maf until 2000rpms when the suction would suck the inlet pipe up to the turbo and it would run fine.

stupid mistake on their part but they did admit to it and apologized for it so i couldn't be too pissed off at them. I've had much worse dealings with gm and ford dealers that string you along and avoid you until they can figure out a cover up story for what actually happened.