PDA

View Full Version : 2006 w/ASSYST

Greenbean950
05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
My ASSYST is set tot he 10,000 mile oil change interval. I must have reset it incorrectly as it used to analyze the oil and go ~15,000 miles between oil changes. How do I revert the system to the NON-10,000 mile standard?

dalemonroe
05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
The ASSYST system measures the type of driving you do and recommends mileage till service based on more than mileage alone. I easily get about 14,000 miles before it registers zero. Resetting is tricky. The instructions are on page 113 of the owner's manual. Here is a paraphrase:

Turn the key all the way on, then
IMMEDIATELY press the "mi" button twice to display M till MS
Turn key off
Press and hold "mi"
Turn the key all the way on

The whole operation must take less than 10 seconds
Notice the word "IMMEDIATELY" !

Greenbean950
05-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Does this revert the system back to variable mileage before an oil change? The system seems to be stuck on the 10,000 mile setting even after I reset it according to the manual.

Aqua Puttana
05-07-2013, 08:51 PM
My ASSYST is set tot he 10,000 mile oil change interval. I must have reset it incorrectly as it used to analyze the oil and go ~15,000 miles between oil changes. How do I revert the system to the NON-10,000 mile standard?
You reset the ASSYST correctly.

The ASSYST always resets to 10,000 miles. After the reset the computer monitors the engine usage and oil condition based upon input from various sensors. If the use and oil condition warrants an extended oil change interval OCI, it will add/extend the miles necessary to countdown to zero. I typically get around a 14,000 - 16,000 mile by the odometer. The computer doesn't know your historical OCI, nor does it care because conditions and use can change. It resets to 10,000 and adjusts accordingly. vic

Greenbean950
05-07-2013, 10:01 PM
OK, I hope so. I was able to top off my oil level and the miles to oil change would change too. Pretty slick monitoring in my Barney Rubble opinion.

Aqua Puttana
05-08-2013, 01:13 AM
OK, I hope so.
You can take to the bank that my advice and input isn't 100%. In this case... you should believe me.

I was able to top off my oil level and the miles to oil change would change too. Pretty slick monitoring in my Barney Rubble opinion.
I mostly don't need to add oil between changes. For some reason at one time I did need to add maybe 3/4 quart before an ASSYST change was indicated. I too was happy to see the miles to change indicated by the ASSYST go up a bit. It really does monitor oil quality and not just engine speed, hours of operation, etc.

Some people don't believe in the ASSYST. A few people even hold on to 7500 mile or less OCI. After personal observation and research I'm convinced that that the ASSYST is not some fly in the dark non-technology so I follow what it tells me. It saves both resources and money.

vic

shortshort
05-08-2013, 05:23 AM
Not me. I thinks it's a lot of BS. It takes one measurement and extrapolates on all the other factors which affect your oil's ability to protect the engine. At the same time it pushes out the interval for fuel and air filters. Nice. I use the 10k interval for oil, 20k for the other filters.

mean_in_green
05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Amusing! Spend your money needlessly if you will...

ASSYST was introduced in 2000 and met with much scepticism. On my NCV3 it is stipulating intervals of 20,000 miles (apart from the initial interval). That is in line with the T1N I used to own, which only ever received servicing according to ASSYST intervals. It lasted ok:

Aqua Puttana
05-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Use ASSYST or not. It doesn't matter to me.

... It takes one measurement and extrapolates on all the other factors which affect your oil's ability to protect the engine. ...

For those who may be interested, this is what MB says about ASSYST.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_215_0.pdf

Page #13

3.12 ASSYST Active Service System
With a production breakpoint of February 1997, the
previous maintenance system for passenger cars with rigid
intervals was superseded by an Active Service System
known as "ASSYST".
Beginning with the W 210 4>Matic in 02/97 and phased in on
the remaining model series as of 06/97 (except G 463, 09/97)
the introduction followed.

i see also:
> Introduction into Service manual passenger cars model
series 210 Innovations February/March 1997
> Video "Model series 210 Innovations model year 1997"
> WIS (microfiche) overall system description,
GF00.20>P>0999AZ

"ASSYST" makes it possible for the first time for Mercedes>
Benz to have service intervals of up to 40,000 km or 2 years
(min. 15,000 km or 1 year). The system takes into account
individually the driving style of the customer by evaluating
engine speed, engine temperature, engine load and time. The timing
of the service required is calculated
and the due date is displayed to the customer in the instrument cluster.

There is also a sensor which monitors certain oil parameters.

FWIW. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=160995#post160995

bobinyelm
02-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Old thread, but I have a question.

When I first bought my '05 Sprinter, the ASSYST went to 14,000mi before requesting an oil change.

I changed the oil/filter, and followed the reset procedure, but It didn't "take" the first time (I probably screwed up the procedure), and the second it did, but took 12 seconds for the procedure, and showed "10,000m" in the window. I just read that the limit is 10sec for the reset. The paper said that if you screw up the reset twice, you're screwed.

It counted down from 10,000mi to the next oil change, and has done that every time since the first. The only unknown is the oil filters I am using. I know I am supposed to use fleece filters, but I still haven't been able to find them, so use Mann paper filters. Could this be the reason the ASSYST limits me to 10,000mi? But then, the OEM filter that came w/ the van was also paper, and it went 14,000mi.

I know factors like mileage accumulated on a time basis, and short/long trip affect ASSYST, but my use has never changed since buying the van, yet the first ASSYST change was at 14,000mi, and every following has been precisely 10,000mi, making me think I am not in the ASSYST oil analysis mode.

I use Mobil 1 "Euro Car Formula" 0-40 and drive the vehicle very easily (never loaded even 25%, mostly long trips intermittently, so my '05 only has 46,000mi since new. I drive very conservatively. I have NEVER ever used full throttle, and NEVER drive over 60mph. Mostly I've never use over even 1/4th throttle, and always downshift gently if I suspect a hill will cause an auto-downshift. I have never exceeded 2600rpm on the engine (and that only a few times). I live in Texas, and the vehicle has only seen freezing temperatures a half dozen times, and has maybe only seen rain as many times since new. ALL very kind conditions to the engine (and the van). I did tow a 3500 pound trailer once for 2500mi, but even then I got 21mpg while towing, so certainly was not abusing the engine to contaminate the oil, I suspect. My normal empty MPG was 27-28 when I bought the van, but has since fallen to 24-26mpg for no known reason (but it bugs me nevertheless wondering why, since when the van was broken it, I thought the mileage would increase, not decrease).

I mention this, since I don't think I drive hard enough to reduce the ASSYST oil life, yet STILL I get 10,000mi in the ASSYST and it never climbs or gains as I drive so as to extend my drain interval.

I asked a dealer about the ASSYST, and they told me that by botching my first ASSYST reset, and exceeding the 10 sec limit for my re-try, I permanently reset my ASSYST to indicate ONLY 10,000mi for the life of the vehicle for oil changes. They said for $280 I could have the computer re-flashed that should reset the ASSYST computer to factory default as it came from the factory, but that money would likely never be "saved" by using the longer oil change intervals possible. Also the dealer told me a re-flash could destroy my fuel economy, since most re-flash vans get 20-22mpg empty after the procedure (and I am routinely getting 20% more than that now).

1) Is what the dealer told me TRUE??

2) I paid like $285 EXTRA to get ASSYST, and no it's no more good than writing my oil change mileage on a piece of paper since it doesn't use the sensor and computer for anything useful (to me).

OR--- Is there something I am doing wrong, or that I can do NOW to make sure when I reset ASSYST that it will use the computer parameters to calculate my optimum oil-change interval?

Understand, I am not too cheap to change at 10k miles. I just resent paying for ASSYST (and forgoing power locks or windows to keep the vehicle price to my budget), and getting nothing FOR the money. I think about that every time I crank the windows up, or walk around the van locking and unlocking my doors with the key.

Thanks,
Bob

Aqua Puttana
02-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Old thread, but I have a question.

When I first bought my '05 Sprinter, the ASSYST went to 14,000mi before requesting an oil change.

I changed the oil/filter, and followed the reset procedure, but It didn't "take" the first time (I probably screwed up the procedure), and the second it did, but took 12 seconds for the procedure, and showed "10,000m" in the window. I just read that the limit is 10sec for the reset. The paper said that if you screw up the reset twice, you're screwed....

Thanks,
Bob
In my early days of the cycle the key, push the buttons, cycle the key, countdown, pound the steering wheel, slam the windshield, repeat... dance learning curve I screwed up on many occasions. My ASSYST is still working fine.

On a recent drive to Florida the oil level went low enough to allow a quart of oil to be added. I added 1 quart of MB228.3 spec oil with the ASSYST miles verified at 4750. After driving some time I again re-checked the ASSYST countdown. It rose to 5250 miles. My opinion is that it noticed the new oil quality and extended the OCI by 500 miles accordingly.

I can understand wanting the ASSYST feature back. Your ASSYST history was 14,000 miles OCI. I would delay your next oil change to 13,000 miles and then reset the ASSYST to see what happens.

If the extended countdown doesn't return then I would again delay to 13,000 miles and maybe reset the ASSYST 2 times in a row this time to see if the countdown returns.

I see no downside to trying the above except for the hopeful waiting needed to see any results.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx
02-22-2014, 03:38 AM
Other things the ASSYST option gave you (and are still Assysting) include the airflow indicator on the primary air cleaner box.

I concur with Vic's suggestion to just do the changes at your old "known good" 14,000 mile interval.
(i'm jealous... ASSYST only extends to 13,000 in my experience ... good ol' Mobil 1, etc.etc.)

As the Sprinter gets older, you might occasionally send off a bit of the oil-change drainage to Blackstone (or similar) for analysis.
That would far exceed the "only measures dielectric" quibble.
The Sprinter's Dielectric sensor really does factor in a number of oil-failure/wear issues, so it's a pretty good test to choose... it'll catch water, acid and coolant, plus excessive engine metal wear.

One would *hope* that even becoming a "10,000 miles only" display, that it would *shorten* that number if it saw excessive wear.
I don't remember seeing "has/hasn't ASSYST" on the DAD's menus.

--dick

Aqua Puttana
03-20-2015, 04:24 AM
For T1N's only.

It happened again.

On a recent drive to Florida the oil level went low enough to allow a quart of oil to be added. I added 1 quart of MB228.3 spec oil with the ASSYST miles verified at 4750. After driving some time I again re-checked the ASSYST countdown. It rose to 5250 miles. My opinion is that it noticed the new oil quality and extended the OCI by 500 miles accordingly.

:2cents: vic

Yesterday I added 1 quart of Mobil 1 with the ASSYST countdown verified at 3400 miles. Today the countdown indicates 3900 miles. The new oil caused the ASSYST to notice and add 500 miles to the OCI countdown.

When it comes to ASSYST I'm a believer.

vic

Use ASSYST or not. It doesn't matter to me.

For those who may be interested, this is what MB says about ASSYST.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_215_0.pdf

Page #13

3.12 ASSYST Active Service System
With a production breakpoint of February 1997, the
previous maintenance system for passenger cars with rigid
intervals was superseded by an Active Service System
known as "ASSYST".
Beginning with the W 210 4>Matic in 02/97 and phased in on
the remaining model series as of 06/97 (except G 463, 09/97)
the introduction followed.

i see also:
> Introduction into Service manual passenger cars model
series 210 Innovations February/March 1997
> Video "Model series 210 Innovations model year 1997"
> WIS (microfiche) overall system description,
GF00.20>P>0999AZ

"ASSYST" makes it possible for the first time for Mercedes>
Benz to have service intervals of up to 40,000 km or 2 years
(min. 15,000 km or 1 year). The system takes into account
individually the driving style of the customer by evaluating
engine speed, engine temperature, engine load and time. The timing
of the service required is calculated
and the due date is displayed to the customer in the instrument cluster.

There is also a sensor which monitors certain oil parameters.

FWIW. vic

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=160995#post160995

israndy
03-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Yeah, sounds like a winner. Just like the rain sensor wipers I wish it could be added to my unit aftermarket. Oh, and that new Tesla self-driving thing they are doing.

-Randy

Paul_E_D
03-20-2015, 07:35 PM
LOL, I still haven't figured out how to reset the damn thing. Much swearing and punching the steering column doesn't work.