Finding power under drivers seat

white whale

Picked up a powered subWoof from Crutchfield - sound ordinance model - nice fit under the seat
on top of cover panel. Can I get electrical help from the panel ...... in awe of the knowledge of some posters in this field, not my strong suit. Any issue with a power connection/grounding here? Too old and wrong vehicle to get any style points with the kids - just want a bit of extra sound fill for long trips.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Put an 80 amp or higher relay under the drivers seat. Get the power for this from the connector block on the battery (position #4 is normally empty - use 8 or 6 gauge wire - run it up under your seat to the relay). Find a switched circuit under your seat to drive the relay coil.

Put a fuse block the other side of the relay and connect your gear to that.

I have a Subwoofer in my car (and a 360 watt sine wave inverter) tied to the relay controlled circuit.

Don't tie into any Sprinter circuits for driving any high powered 12V gear - you will be sorry if you do.

Attachments

Last edited:

white whale

still a bit more than I'm comfortable with but I'll consider it part of my sprinter education.
Does the relay need to an OEM brand? Best to do perhaps? Sub is classed as 120 watt - not sure if that means high power.
They call for a 30 amp fuse as the breaker for the sub.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
That's pretty high powered. Your Sprinters wiring is not up to casusally adding a 30 amp draw someplace.

You can get relays on Amazon.com that will work.

Attached: Ohm Law

Attachments

surlyoldbill

On the 3 aux power connections under the driver seat; the keyed, always hot, and hot when engine running connections, where are the fuses for those connections? My search of the wiring diagrams hasn't been fruitful.

Top Bottom