Trying to get the right clutch parts - 311 CDi

Cotswold Plumber

Newbie to Sprinters
I'm in need of help!!

Just bought a 311 CDi MWB 2003 and within the week the clutch needs replacing (Don't say a word!:cry:).
I have the 611 981 engine - 2151cc but most of the clutch suppliers I can find tell me they only supply for the 2148cc engine.
Is the clutch the same? I am also looking to go down the solid mass flywheel route as recommended by my Mechanic to save my already empty pocket but would love some advice.

Thanks in anticipation.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Have you driven one with a replacement solid flywheel? The factory dual mass item does take a lot of harshness away. The complete clutch kit from a UK dealer is going to be over £1,100 fitted, but you'll find good pattern for less.

lindenengineering

I'm in need of help!!

Just bought a 311 CDi MWB 2003 and within the week the clutch needs replacing (Don't say a word!:cry:).
I have the 611 981 engine - 2151cc but most of the clutch suppliers I can find tell me they only supply for the 2148cc engine.
Is the clutch the same? I am also looking to go down the solid mass flywheel route as recommended by my Mechanic to save my already empty pocket but would love some advice.

Thanks in anticipation.
Greetings to you from an old Gloucesterian in Denver. Nowadays its Howdy:laughing:
Have your tried anything from the Quinten Hazel suppliers?
My brother buys a lot of stuff from their local outlets for his shop in South Gloucestershire. Moreton Valence to be exact--s'pect you'll know that bit o' the world being from up on the top over there ol' mate!
Dennis

Cotswold Plumber

Newbie to Sprinters
Greetings from sunny Glos.

Thanks Guys. Hopefully I'm sorted. Those very nice chaps at Parts 2 Clear are sending the right bits although I am still not sure what parts are interchangeable between the 2148 cc and the 2151 cc engines. With regards to the solid flywheel I did read around it and expect it to be less smooth but I don't carry a great deal of weight and will try to avoid too much 'torque stress'.

I will report back after it has been fitted giving you the benefit of my ignorance!

stroud_omnibus

Nice to see someone local to me! Everyone seems to either live in the US or Oz!

Good luck with the clutch! It's a dear job I know. Had mine done about 3 years ago with a new dual-mass at the same time.

lindenengineering

Nice to see someone local to me! Everyone seems to either live in the US or Oz!

That's 'cos we have all bloody well left.:laughing:
I have lots of Miks at the moment looking for work--Doncha know! The usual Irish Diaspora!: laughing:
One of my brothers became a ten pound POM in the 70's now in Brizzie. Even became an Auzzie!

Then me over here!

Just one brother left in zee ol country! Grinning and bearing it I suppose on 10 bucks a gallon for fuel and a mortage loan to buy a grocery cart of grub!
Cheers Dennis

stroud_omnibus

Hi Dennis.... Ten bucks a gallon is very true. BUT.... groceries no way! I was over in the US just over a month ago and I was paying out as much per DAY for me and my daughter to eat as I spend in a WEEK over here! My credit card bill is testament to that! It was only the fact that gas prices are so good and that my rental V6 Mustang returned good m.p.g that I didn't go bust.

lindenengineering

Hi Dennis.... Ten bucks a gallon is very true. BUT....

groceries no way! I was over in the US just over a month ago and I was paying out as much per DAY for me and my daughter to eat as I spend in a WEEK over here!

Alan
Curious where did you go to--Not Florida?

Since I have one foot on either side of the pond mentally speaking I have just looked up Sainsbury's this week specials.

Always difficult to compare Brit eggs with "mercan eggs but taking some of the same food stuffs meat etc the US is about half of UK prices.
I could tell you the price for steak @ 27quid a kilo @ 1.5/$ is $40/kg would mortify Americans in their local Safeway.

Of course the US is a big place, the UK small by comparison, about the size of the State of Minnesota, so prices vary enormously.

Eating out at basic restaurants like Applebees etc is more of less on par with the US especially since the Pounds too a slide against the Dollar recently.

Next time why not come out to Colorado, bring your daughter. Skiing is free for young 'uns under 14 as long as you buy an accompanying adult ticket. Sunlight near Glenwood Springs is only $45/day incl lift tickets.
Try that against some where like Val D'Isere!

I don't recommend a Mustang in Co in winter, much better a Landrover. I always have one spare as a loner.
Not convinced!
Consider the upper tier of the US, like CO there are lots of places to explore. Real Americans here no synthetic types here!:thumbup:

My favorites are Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Take a look at this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6zOMu4KIB0
My missus comes from here in Sagle , I often spend our summer hols on the lake with a powerboat!

Imagine 4th of July doing a barbie with a bunch of folk here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khwxqf3f9Fw&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Or doing this in a Piper:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHTTOfhpUeQ

All this totally was out of reach as a kid in the UK.

I will leave you with this totally sums up life in the West.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIDr_8LUtE

Have a good weekend
Dennis

stroud_omnibus

Hi Dennis,
We went on a roadtrip really. Started in San Francisco, Highway 1 to LA, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, Scottsdale, Winslow, Flagstaff, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, back to Flagstaff and Route 66 to Kingman, up to Las Vegas. Mostly 'touristy' places I know, but the prices!!!! Jeez! $14 for a sandwich! Breakfast was so expensive at certain places I bought some bowls and spoons and our own cereal. Even Cornflakes were twice the price as over here.

One thing of note was that I was suprised how many Sprinters were about, and not just RV's. I expected them to be a lot thinner on the ground.

lindenengineering

Alan
OK good trip I bet.
Yes lots of Sprinters to be seen in the US.

Hotel and breakfast pricing, try to stay at hotels where kids eat free, breakfast in some chains are complimentry. Call ahead for deals is my MO when on the road.

Jeez 14 bucks for a sandwich, seems steep, where was that? Vegas?
Supermarket deli stands have a jumbo for $6.
Subway about the same.

I can't handle the fast food stuff, gives me guts ache, so I tend to be picky where I eat on the road. Perkins and Ihop ain't bad but tends to vary as they are franchise chains.

If you are tempted to come over again just PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a bell. Sundays are often the best and I usually call my brother in Moreton Valance every Sunday for a chin wag.

My brother and his missus love coming over here. I guess its all about having family and comfortable surroundings.
Greetings from my family bunch.
Linda, Lauren, Rhys, Savanna, (my shop sec/receptionist) Dennis jnr, 14 Katherine, 11 and Gareth 9 and little Adrianna 5 (grand daughter)

Now you know why I need a 7 seat Landrover !!
That's why the last time in the UK I had to rent a Sprinter minibus!:laughing:
Cheers Dennis
ps
That explains why the pastor at our local church often says Dennis your quiver is full!:laughing:
'

stroud_omnibus

Hi Dennis, Thanks for the offer! Wont be travelling very far for a while as this trip has cleaned me out, but I fully intend to go back when funds allow that's for sure.

Top Bottom