Tire pressure with minimum load ...

I was reading a post on tire pressure on the NCV page, and I've seen a few posts that say tire pressure is kept at about 70-75PSI all around the van.

On my '05 2500, I have the stock Michilen tires. I'm usually pretty light load-wise ... I have my tires inflated to 54psi all around. Would increasing the inflation to, say, 75psi all around yield better fuel economy? I really don't mind the stiff ride.

-Michael

05highroof

The more pressure in the tire means less rolling resistance, less work for engine , less fuel burned.
More money for your dentist when your fillings fall out .:laughing:
I've run max pressure on long trips / freeway for the sake of fuel mileage but around town it's just to hard a ride for me.

david_42

There isn't much MPG to be gained going more than 10 psi over the recommendations. The rolling resistance of a radial tire does change anywhere near as much with inflation as bias-ply tires. I find the handling is best about 5 psi over the necessary, 55 front, 50 rear. More just makes it ride rougher and results in excessive wear in the middle of the tread.

next_ceo

I believe factory recommended tire pressure is 50 psi(front) and 80 psi(rear)and that is where I keep mines. I am surprised some of you people keep it so low.

I just had the van in to be serviced, and they inflated the fronts to 55psi and the rears to 80psi. I didn't know this until after I got home and reviewed the service invoice. While I was driving home (in a snowstorm no less), I noticed that the van was handling kinda "funny" - not like I'm used to. It seemed to be fishtailing slightly from time to time, and normally, it never does that. When I looked at the invoice and saw the tire pressure on the rears at 80psi, I figured that was the culprit. I lowered the pressure to 60psi, and it's back to handling as I'm used to.

I thought that the rears were inflated to 80psi under maximum load, and not under minimal load?? :thinking:

-Michael

Top Bottom