computer update for DEF

My dealership told me that there is a computer update for the DEF system. I wouldn't let them do the update because it would erase my Renntech tune. They didn't know what the update did exactly. Just that is was for the DEF system.
Does anyone know what this update does exactly?

BobLLL

When I took mine in last week for routine service, the service manager said they did an update for the DEF system. But the invoice said it was a change in programming for the EGR valve. Maybe yours is the same issue. See the the thread "Service campaign for EGR valve" in the NCV3 Database forum. I would think the dealership should be able to give you the service bulletin text of what they propose to do. At least they told you in advance. My dealer just ran the update and told me after. Of course they made up for it by not doing two things that I did ask for.

Yertle

Mobil service tech told me the update was for the EGR valve and would have to be done at the dealership. When I spoke to the dealership about the EGR update they indicated it was for the DEF tank and a tweek to the temperature range for the heating element.

BobLLL

Looking at my invoice more closely, I see it mentions both the EGR and SCR systems. SCR is Selective Catalytic Reduction, which is related to the DEF system. So it could be that the update affects both EGR and SCR/DEF systems.

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
The updates are as follows - 2010 to 2011 vans get a change to the CDI module programming for the EGR strategy, and the after shut down cleaning process, along with updating the SCR module to the newest software revision for added diagnostic purposes (that's all I know).
2012 vans get an update for the CDI and SCR system for added diagnostic function and capabilities of both the CDI and SCR systems .
These updates should be done , due to the fact that they do clear up a lot of "glitches" in the software. That is a FACT.

Carl

bkhi

The reprogramming takes less than an hour including regeneration after programming. Engine seems more "peppy" than before. Recall started in Feb 2013, not many if any owners were notified.

Also found out that dealer can clear all codes but only MB can see all codes back to build date which are never erased. So they can check warranty issues.

Solera2012

New to the forum and am just digesting all the excellent information here. My question concerning MB updates. My Sprinter 3500 is an RV from Forest River, so i'm wondering how do I actually tell the model year, since Forest River purchased the Sprinter to do their build out. I know the MB chassis has a manufactured date on it, but I am not sure if that calendar date of manufacture, drives the model year. Can anyone tell me the differences between a 2011 and 2012 keeping in mind I only have part of a Sprinter that has been retroed to suit Forest Rivers design build.

sailquik

Solera2012,
Send me a PM with your VIN# and a valid email address and I will download your Sprinter's "DataCard" and forward it to your email.
The DataCard includes the build date, all of the options, absolutely everything that went into the building of your Cab/Chassis at the Sprinter Factory in Dusseldorf.
Include a valid email address as the PM server software does not like .PDF attachments.
Knowing the build date will definitely get you the year model, which also could possibly be gleaned from your VIN # as I believe one of the characters/digits is the year model.
There aren't many differences between the 2011 and 2012 NAFTA Models (I've had both) AFAIK.
Are you having your services done at an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer?
If so, they will take care of any upgrades that are needed.
If you are having your Sprinter serviced at an RV dealer, they have no ability to perform these kinds of upgrades as they have no access to the MB SDS Diagnostics system that is required.
Roger

Last edited:

uhu123

i had my 2011 updated and it took 3 more trips to update other systems that were messed up after the first update but all is well now does run better now

Solera2012

When were your updates performed by the stealer. I ask because I'm "hoping" MB has established the correct protocol now, since it took you 3 add'l trips. Can you elaborate on why an addional three. Do you think there were in a learning curve on this?

bkhi

Mine was done on Monday, tech said unless all power is off in van and charger is on battery all updates will not load. Even the dome light must be off, battery voltage is critical for update to load. I have driven 260 mi since monday and no problems

I had the so called AGR update done at the dealer.
Van does seem much more peppy.
So far so good.
Has anyone had an EGR problem after the update?

I have a 2012 Winnie ERA RV based on a 2011 Sprinter 3500 long tall van. Had the updates done in July by a MB dealer. No issues at all after the update and have driven over 3K miles in it since the work was done. Very peppy, no visible change in mileage.

tedinkc

Mine was updated in December when I had the 20K service. That actually screwed things up, check engine light before I got very far, tire pressure sensor didn't know the tires had been rotated, then the DEF system thought it was out and I got a countdown of 16 starts left. They had my van from Christmas to New Years. Stack of paper was thick, Mercedes engineering had written a glitch into the new program. Re wrote it and haven't had a problem since and I'm at 35K now. It took care of the very annoying "hiccup" that the EGR had.

What's a "Renntech tune"? Where do I get one?

Ted

Eastbayview

2012 Unity MB
Is this update really needed? My LTV Unity is running fine and reading the issues people have had after the update makes me want to leave it be.

bkhi

tire pressure sensor didn't know the tires had been rotated,

Ted
How was it supposed to know the tires had been rotated since the front and rear tires have different air pressure? When I rotated my tires I did not realize that until I read the sticker on the door, problem solved.

The guy who did my update said many problems were related to incorrect procedures in doing the update. Not all power off, fluctuation in battery voltage etc. Not performing regeneration after update.
He turned all power off even domb light and hooked it to a battery charger, checked installed program and all trouble codes stored, then uploaded software. Made sure update completed, then somehow started regeneration which took 20 min to 1/2 hr.
He said very important not to skip any steps or try to do it faster.

Since then I have only had a few minor hiccups after sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for a long time.

Top Bottom