Trouble code TCs=0...??? Ultra gauge

Buckskinner

2002,158", 2500, 355k
Hi everybody, what does TCs=0 mean?
Recent install of ultra gauge,and same showed no codes for a couple of days, even for my shutdown problem, no codes. I did spin the rear wheels just a little pulling up out of a driveway when wet and that evening the code showed up. No check engine light ever came on, and my engine shutdown under load continues, though I don't believe the shutdown is related to this code.
The only thing I can find re the code relates to traction control, but nothing specific, and the ultra gauge will not clear the code.
Your advice is appreciated muchly, thank you, David

2002 sprinter 2500, 158", 355k miles

sailquik

Buckskinner,
That would be a good question to email UltraGauge EM about.
It might stand for Trouble Code s=0 (perhaps meaning nothing is showing up at the ECM.
The traction control usually just flashes the triangle when you spin a rear tire, and clears itself very quickly.
The traction control/ABS is not a MB recognized code.
Think you need to find someone with a DAD unit or head for an authorized Mercedes Benz dealer/shop and have your codes
read by the MB SDS system.
I looked at the UltraGauge site and your TC s=0 did not show up anywhere.
Looked in Eric Ord's complete Sprinter DTC book and could find no codes beginning with TC.
Roger

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Hi everybody, what does TCs=0 mean?
Recent install of ultra gauge,and same showed no codes for a couple of days, even for my shutdown problem, no codes. I did spin the rear wheels just a little pulling up out of a driveway when wet and that evening the code showed up. No check engine light ever came on, and my engine shutdown under load continues, though I don't believe the shutdown is related to this code.
The only thing I can find re the code relates to traction control, but nothing specific, and the ultra gauge will not clear the code.
Your advice is appreciated muchly, thank you, David

2002 sprinter 2500, 158", 355k miles
I just assumed it meant that there were no Trouble Codes (TCs) that could be read by the Ultragauge.

I occasionally get a Check Engine Light on my 2007 Sprinter, but my Ultragauge reports no TCs. OTOH, it will clear the CEL. Prior to my getting the Ultragauge, the CEL would eventually go off by itself after a number of 'restarts'.

I did take the van into a Dodge Sprinter Dealership when the CEL was ON, but I was unable to pinpoint the cause of the CEL because of the large number of TCs returned by their system.

HTH

Buckskinner

2002,158", 2500, 355k
Wow, thanks guys! I bet you are right, that it means no trouble codes, and just took a few days for that to show up...I hadn't thought of that meaning, makes sense.
You are right about the need for a scan with a proper DRB III. I've been working on the egr issue, having replaced the well worn egr, and IAT, improving performance though still have the shutdown problem...will pull the intercooler and test or replace and do a more thorough check of the vac solenoid turbo actuator.
I wish I could buy y'all a drink!

sailquik

Buckskinner,
With the vacuum operated turbo van actuator, there are many places that can leak.
The solenoid itself, any of the lines with a pin hole, the vac accumulator tank, the brake
booster and tank, trace all the lines.
Roger

Buckskinner

2002,158", 2500, 355k
Sailquik, Will do! And report back here, may take a week or two.
I did lube the actuator and mighty vac'd the diaphragm under same, it holds. Put a little pressure on the solenoid and it holds, but need to check the other side of solenoid and the vac to it and back to the booster. If it all holds vacuum, I'll pull the intercooler and test, the hoses looked good after cleaning and squoozing.
Thank you, David

lindenengineering

Just a comment or two.
The 2002/2003 vacuum operated turbo boost controls are actuated by a signal from the PCM to the vacuum control solenoid.

The twin pair of #16 wires are what is known as a "twisted pair" , a braid as such, much like the telephone hand sets of the last century. (showing my age now!) OMG!!:frown:

This is an old fashioned way of eliminating noise and interference on transmission of signals down harnesses . The Germans love 'em, and examples can be found on MB's and "Break my Wallet"s--- BMW's to you darlings (an overpriced piece of junk if ever there was one! )

ABS signals are often braided from these two brands, Brits (LR's use screening like the Japs much better, since cable flex ultimately wears through a braid section due to constant harness flexing and a monetary short occurs)

This shorting down will kill your turbo boost activity dead and create a limp mode--only to be cleared upon restart until he next flexing short occurs!

You need a good scanner to find it that will give you sub codes!
So bear this in mind!
Cheers Dennis

Buckskinner

2002,158", 2500, 355k
Yo Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the braided wires. I may have a weak motor mount or two, and that could cause such a short...a momentary "monetary" short, lol.
The mb dealer here is not the place for me, they have a bad rep and tried to charge a friend 1500 bucks for air conditioner repair when it was a clogged drain hose getting the carpet wet.
I have heard of wiring problems in late model Mercedes.
A scan with sub codes, I will work on locating same, and I thank you! David

Buckskinner

2002,158", 2500, 355k
Dennis,
The previous owner said he had no shutdown problem, and I tend to believe him. He was a diesel mechanic though not familiar with sprinters, and just before I took possession of the van, he replaced the lower ball joints for state inspection and after that he would have driven the van very little...would a funky or misplaced front wheel sensor or the wiring of said front sensors cause the turbo shutdown? If so, this puzzle may be solved with some careful splicing or adjustment? Interesting possibility, the pieces of your suggestion seem to fit the puzzle...thanks, David

Top Bottom