PDA

View Full Version : Vaacumsound from left side of engine

GilbertK
04-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi all, new to the forum and the world of sprinters.
My newly purchased Sprinter, a 2011 316CDI euroV was in need of an oilchange so I sucked out the oil, changed the filter and filled it up with brand new 229.51, reassembled everything and started up, everything looking and sounding good so I descided to take it for a spin. Then, when applying the throttel a bit there was a distinct whining sound that I have recorded, the sound comes from the left side of the engine (right side of enginebay when standing in front of vehicle. I have felt around and not found any suction och leaks, and no loose pipes or hoses. Any ideas as to where this sound can originate from? Everything was sounding good before the oilchange so I must have disrupted something, but am unable to say what. I did the change in what i assume is the ordinary way, moved the airfilterbox to the left, removed the "oilspout" and the enginecover, sucked out the oil, changed the filter, filled up about 10 liters, reassembled everything, and topped up to near max.

GilbertK
05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I have investigated further and it seems to be turborelated. When changing oil I saw that the fanschroud (the plastic surrounding the fan and radiatorpack) had a crack an was loose, actually it was hanging on the fan, so I mended the crack and put the schroud back in place. I can feel no air coming out around the hose and connections between intercooler and intake. When I take the schroud off the "hinges" and move it towards the engine the sound decreases significantly. Could it be a leak in the Intercooler that blows intakeair against the schroud ?

GilbertK
07-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Turned out to be a crack in the intercooler blowing against the schroud, new intercooler and the sound is gone.

sailquik
07-06-2013, 04:36 PM
GilbertK;
Good Info, thanks for the update!
I noticed something about what you did to change your oil.
It is probably not necessary to remove the plastic engine cover unless you are changing the fuel filter also (it's tucked away under the plastic cover).
Did you suck the old oil out through the filler, or the dipstick?
Would it not be easier to simply crawl under the front of your Sprinter and remove the oil drain plug from the oil pan?
I realize that using a vacuum system gives you a lot more control of where all that dirty black oil goes, so that's a plus, but
unless you need access to the fuel filter or something else under the cover, I see no reason to remove the cover or even the air filter
box for that matter (unless you as changing the engine air filter as well).
Can you explain....we might learn something from your explanation.
Roger

hein
07-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Any pictures of the cracked intercooler? Causes?

icarus
07-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Off topic, but I have found that sucking the oil out is a much better way to do it. You get more out, more sludge out, AND you can suck the oil filter housing as well. The bonus is that you don't risk cross threading/stripping the drain plug.

I believe it is the preferred way to do it with many cars these days, BMWs, MB and others .

Icarus

GilbertK
07-07-2013, 07:30 AM
GilbertK;
Good Info, thanks for the update!
I noticed something about what you did to change your oil.
It is probably not necessary to remove the plastic engine cover unless you are changing the fuel filter also (it's tucked away under the plastic cover).
Did you suck the old oil out through the filler, or the dipstick?
Would it not be easier to simply crawl under the front of your Sprinter and remove the oil drain plug from the oil pan?
I realize that using a vacuum system gives you a lot more control of where all that dirty black oil goes, so that's a plus, but
unless you need access to the fuel filter or something else under the cover, I see no reason to remove the cover or even the air filter
box for that matter (unless you as changing the engine air filter as well).
Can you explain....we might learn something from your explanation.
Roger
I sucked the oil out through the dipstick, the fillerhole does not have a unrestricted path right down to the sump/pan. The reason for detaching the plastic cover is to be able to change the oilfilter, mine is a european 316, a 2,1(or 2,2)litre inline 4 with twin turbo and access to the oilfilter improves very much detaching the plastic cover.

GilbertK
07-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Any pictures of the cracked intercooler? Causes?
No pictures, it was changed at the dealers, from what I understand it was cracked in the plastic composite that makes the "endpiece" on the suction side. As far as cause I can just assume it was a prematurely worn out component, 2 and a half years and less than 60000km. No goodwill from mercedes though...

johnshmit
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Off topic, but I have found that sucking the oil out is a much better way to do it. You get more out, more sludge out, AND you can suck the oil filter housing as well. The bonus is that you don't risk cross threading/stripping the drain plug.

I believe it is the preferred way to do it with many cars these days, BMWs, MB and others .

Icarus

Extreme caution should be used when sucking the oil from the engine.Used oil can be poisonous when swallowed.

shanemac
07-09-2013, 06:31 PM
My van had a very similar hiss noise from under hood last month, the noise got worse and worse, turned out the exhaust manifold had a crack. When the mechanic road tested it the crack blew apart and my van sounded like a derby car ready for action.

Exhaust manifold 68026767AA gasket 5175695AA