water pump

pdudgeon

Dealer ordered water pump and attachment 6 months ago from Airstream for 2005 Sprinter Westfalia, whith nothing in sight. Does anyone know of better ways to find what I guess is a Westfalia part. Thanks, Peter Dudgeon...,

Dealer ordered water pump and attachment 6 months ago from Airstream for 2005 Sprinter Westfalia, whith nothing in sight. Does anyone know of better ways to find what I guess is a Westfalia part. Thanks, Peter Dudgeon...,
Many of those types of parts are fairly standard within the RV and travel trailer industry. Maybe take the actual parts to a decent sized RV center and see if the parts department can supply it?

If there is a brand and model number on the part try a Google search. Good luck. vic

jujupang

order from gowesty.com, our Westy uses same water pump as original Westy. Also check/search yahoo Westfalia group

512Westy

From GoWesty.com
Part number - 255-070-805: Pump, H2O inside tank (submergible) [Vanagon/Eurovan Westfalia]
$29.95 + $7.45 shipping

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
Westifalia do not make most accessory or parts except the coach work (ie, the cabineties, convertable seats, room partition, bath, closets etc.

The water pump is commonly used in European campers caravans. The drop-in replacement is the Comet VIP or VIP Plus. Both are very cheap in the US from VW camper parts suppliers.

Here is another source with the photo is unmistakable either. However I don't like that they don't specific say it is a Comet. Better call them to confirm. I have seen some cheap China made one.

http://www.busdepot.com/255070805

Also if you can hear the pump run but no water coming out the chance is it is sucking air (like vapor lock). You can open the tank and till the pump sideways with it running to rid the pocket of air trapped under the impeller.

Update: I just notice they say it is German made and you can bet on it it is a good pump.

Last edited:

pdudgeon

Re: water tank locking cap Airstream Sprinter Westfalia 2005

Thanks for help re: water pump.....now looking for replacement for locking water tank cap!

512Westy

I have had yet another failure of the domestic water pump this past month. The Comet VIP Plus. This is the third pump i've installed in 2 years. GoWesty was good enough to replace the second one, since it failed in less than a year. This time was apparently just over a year. Has anyone else had these repeated failures? The second pump failure was visually non-descript, just had shorted out and was blowing the fuse. This recent failure is quit interesting and i'll attach some pics. It has ballooned out either from A) corrosion, or B) thermal expansion. I am voting for corrosion since the ballooning is very ridgid, not puffy. Looks like the coating could have been nicked (not to my knowledge) or thin and passed moisture through to the inner metal casing which rusted and pushed out. GoWesty claims they sell dozens/year with nearly zero failures. I must just be lucky.

Attachments

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
When first got Westy, I think Airstream replaced water pump twice under warranty.

Then, pump died but was out of warranty--I purchased two from GoWesty which looked identical to the Airstream ones but marking said Leisure Products Cerritos Ca.

So many years have gone by and the GoWesty one has lasted much longer than Airstream ones. Today, it died so I just installed the spare.

Looking at the GoWesty website to order some more, see the markings are different--Made in Germany.

Tip: Sometimes, the water pump may become disconnected from the outlet tube. Some folks have added a clamp. As it's hard enough to replace in tight space, I just keep the white electrical wire cord short and straight as held by the rubber grommet--so it keeps the pump relatively vertical against the fresh water tank back wall with not that much room to move. Makes more difficult to become dislodged.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Early on, Airstream was apparently replacing a lot of these submersible pumps. In the retrofit campaign, Airstream added the sticker next to water pump switch saying to turn off when not in use and also replaced the fresh water tank sensor to show empty sooner. The apparent rationale was the pumps were being burned out when running with no water.

I never turn off that switch as inconvenient. But one time, descended a hill and hit a bump or something. Anyways, was lucky as stopped shortly thereafter. Heard a buzzing noise but had no idea from where. Noticed some shampoo bottles had fallen, then noticed bathroom faucet handle was ON/open slightly but no water coming out. So pushed faucet handle down and no more noise. So water pump was probably running a bit but not fully.

Use a water filter when filling fresh water tank but still notice grit and things in water tank. Grit pulled into watee pump can't be good.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
My older GoWesty pumps do not have that brown bottom plate as shown in 512Westy photos and now on GoWesty website. Do not believe original Airstream ones had.

Top Bottom