installed larger tires and new rims lead to limp mode and abs problems.

kirillka

hi i have put bigger tires on the front 255/65r16. rear are 265/75r16... vs old rims/tire 225/75r16 . here is a picture IMG950736.jpg... to cut to the chase van goes in to limp mode speedo doesn't function right abs light on and such.. Has any body done the same thing with their sprinter or knew of a remedy to this problem? are there different abs rings i can swap with less teeth count for ex to fool the ecm ? as far as i have heard is that on t1n model sprinters the ecm is not reprogrammable to different size tires true / false. does anybody have an effective solution to this problem thanks.

surlyoldbill

Perhaps it's because of different sizes on front and back.
The original size worked just fine, why did you change them? Were they cheaper than stock size?

kirillka

IMG950545.jpg well theses were the original rims that came with the van so no the tires werent cheaper lol. i am going to change out the front tires to the same diameter 75 vs the 65 mounted on the front now. i went with smaller diameter due to the added width of the tire.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
hi i have put bigger tires on the front 255/65r16. rear are 265/75r16to cut to the chase van goes in to limp mode speedo doesn't function right abs light on and are there different abs rings i can swap with less teeth count for ex to fool the ecm ?.
Because the Sprinters computer monitors the four wheels rotational speeds, all the tires need to be the same size. If the Wheels don't rotate at near the same speeds the Computer evokes that the driver has lost control of the van...
Good luck on trying to fool the computer!

Kirillka,
There are some other gotchas with Sprinters also. I've listed the tire size issue and a few other things here and in the Stoopid Things thread.

Tips for New to Sprinter Owners
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23409

Keep all the tires the same size, not necessarily the same exact brand though. No tone ring or other ways around it that I've seen. vic

Last edited:

Please don't tell me that the van in the picture is the one that you paid $3400.00 for...

the van is a 2003 2500 with 195,000 miles. i paid 3400 for it. i replaced 3 injectors 1,2,3 cyl. air filter fuel filter did not drop the oil yet lol just had it for about ! month to bssy setting it up for work installing tollboxes air compressor generator . besides the rear problem the van runs great nice and clean on the inside nothing some simple green couldnt take out. my only burden with it is the diff .

What a deal if you did. :thumbup::thumbup:

vic

View attachment 51948 well theses were the original rims that came with the van so no the tires werent cheaper lol. i am going to change out the front tires to the same diameter 75 vs the 65 mounted on the front now. i went with smaller diameter due to the added width of the tire.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
To repeat what others have said:
its not the larger tires that cause the LHM.
its the different sizes of tires you are running on the front vs the rear. make them all the same size and you will be golden. :thumbup:

sailquik

kirillka,
Something to consider when you change to tires with all the same diameters.
The 225/75r16 tires that your RV had on originally are rated for the axle weights of your Sprinter based RV.
Not sure that they make 55 and 65 series with the same weight carrying capacity.
Normally, on Sprinter vans, and especially on Sprinter Van based RVs, the recommended (and
approved) tires are in the 75 and 85 series which are rated (and known) to give you the safety
factors and longer mileage with the axle weights you most likely have with the Vista Cruiser
RV.
There should be USDOT/NHTSA mandated labels/stickers on the side of the drivers seat box and
on the "b" pillar (drivers door rear jamb) that specify the approved tire size and inflation pressure.
To put smaller/less load capacity tires that cannot handle the weight of the RV conversion on your Sprinter puts you,
your family, and everyone else on the road around you at some level of increased risk.
Were you to have an accident, from a tire failure, your insurance company could potentially void
your insurance coverage.
Equipping your Sprinter based RV with the approved tire size, and keeping all your tires inflated to
the recommended pressures will make your Sprinter easy to drive, safe, and result in the maximum
overall tire mileage.
My vote would be a set of 5 (including the spare) Michelin LTX MS2 in the 215/85R16 LRE Serv. Desc. 115/112R size.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R6LTXMS2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Expensive.....yes.....worth the expense....absolutely!
Roger

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

Another tire thread.
My gut reaction is to think that it would be ok to mix'n'match front/rear tire sizes as long as the diameter is the same. Tire calculators are available online.

YES YES YES for an RV get the E load rating or higher! Usually 10-ply.
Brand selection based on your reaction to advertising, prices, brand loyalty or recommendations.

kirillka

Thanks alot for all the info guys its unfortunate that this tire setup wont work on T1n sprinters . ? Is it same for ncv3 vans also because ive heard those can be programmed at the dealer true / false ? im new to the sprinters myself ive had mine for about a month and they are great vans but like with every car truck built there are flows that are a mystery to the owner/ mechanic of wtf something was made the way it was made it is like what happened to adjustable steering wheel its a 2003 -my van ? . and no that is not my sprinter in the pick that cost 3400 ...This one is actually my dads new toy. Definitely not a work van lol. I will post picks of mine when i get the new rear diff in it some time next week.

Top Bottom